40 years diagnosed plus PTSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

40 years diagnosed plus PTSD

My MS was officially diagnosed 15 years after I was discharged from the Army in 1970. In 2002 I went to the National Center for PTSD for 3 months in Menlo Park CA. At that time I was taken off of my Avonex because of possible depression. In early 2003 I had massive MS exacerbation.

The head neurologist at Kaiser in Redwood City CA said it was “more likely than not” that going off of my Avonex caused the MS exacerbation and the VA agreed. The VA has just changed my rating to SMC R2

I am am paralyzed from my waist down and my left arm is just about worthless. My speech is compromised. My sweat glands have shut down and I don’t sweat 💦 so I really have to watch hot days. I have a Colostomy and do intermittent catheterization.

The VA inserted a Baclofen pump for spasticity. Over the past few years it has been replaced with Prialt at Stanford. Prialt is a pain medication which is non narcotic and much better than Morphine. For some reason I have even been able to completely reduce my Baclofen.

I have been happily married for almost 20 years. I have a wonderful CCI service dog named Toggle.
    Rich

Hi Rich. I saw your post from a few days ago. Welcome to MS World.

Sorry to hear of your paralysis and other challenges. So glad you have the support of your wife and the assistance of your service dog. I hope you'll come back.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi Rich. Just wanted to welcome you. Hope to see more from you.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
      X