Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interstim II for bowl & bladder issues

Hi Everyone,
    I was dx in 2007 and have been dealing with bowel and bladder issues since that time. I am now looking into the Interstim option, as I am at my wits end with these problems. I take Toviaz for bladder, but no real solution for bowel other than Immodium.

How many of you have had an interstim? I also know you can only have brain MRI's. But am curious about how many in the community have gone down this road. Thanks!

Hi Balletbunny,

I just had one implanted last September. It has changed my life. Although I'm not 100% free from accidents, I went from 3 or 4 a week to maybe 1 or 2 a month. I also suffer with Irritable Bowel Syndrome so I have many issues. I get Botox in my bladder every 6 months for the urine incontinence. It works wonders. I still have to wear Poise pads but I can't tell you how much my quality of life has improved. I still can't go to the movies and dinner on a "date" with my hubby due to the IBS but it's nice knowing I can mostly control it long enough to get to a bathroom. I hated to leave the house for fear of an accident. And if I do have an accident with my bowel now, it is usually because of the IBS that upset my stomach and I end up with severe liquid diarrhea which is hard to hold in because there is no firmness.

The implant is a two step procedure. The first procedure they put the wires in and leave the stim device (about the size of a pacemaker) on the outside of the body to see if it will work for you. If it does, then they will permanently implant it which has to be done at a hospital or surgery center. Here is some advice I wish someone had given me. My doctor gave me the option of going under sedation in the hospital versus in the dr's office with no sedation for the first phase (external). I chose to do it in the office with no sedation! Big mistake!!!! It hurt so much I was in tears for part of it. Take the sedation!!! Lol. Mine was put in by a Urologist that has experience with MS patients. My MS Neuro sent me to him because of my bowel and bladder issues.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do. I hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
    X