MS for 40 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS for 40 years

I was diagnosed in 1984 although I got out of the Army in 1970 and wasn’t able to get service connection although I had symptoms within the timeframe required by law.

i was service connected for my MS in 2003 while I was in the National Center for PTSD in Menlo Park CA. At that time they had a Zero tolerance policy for using Betaseron while in the program.

The head of Neurology at Kaiser in Redwood City CA said it was more likely than not that my exacerbation WAS caused by my going off my MS medication.

i had to get a note from my Neurologist and go to the Board of Veterans Appeals in Oakland but I finally got my service connection. It has been a long road I have been rated SMC-R2 service connection just a few weeks ago. It has been a very long road!
    Rich

Hi Rich ~

Welcome to MSWorld!

Thank you for your service!

Glad to know that you have your service connection issues finally all worked out. It sounds like you have been through a lot over the years.

Hope to see more from you here on the boards.

Wishing you the best.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Welcome, Rich. Thanks for sharing your story. I hope you'll keep coming back to see us.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thank you for your service!

I can’t even imagine having MS for 40 years and all that you must have gone through. It’s inspiring to hear stories like yours. I know MS is not very pleasant to live with, but it’s comforting to those of us who haven’t lived with MS for very long to hear of people like you who have endured and gotten through no matter what this disease throws at them.

“Keep your face to the sun and you will never see the shadows.”
        ― Helen Keller

Comment

Originally posted by richjh101 View Post
          I was diagnosed in 1984 although I got out of the Army in 1970 and wasn’t able to get service connection although I had symptoms within the timeframe required by law.

i was service connected for my MS in 2003 while I was in the National Center for PTSD in Menlo Park CA. At that time they had a Zero tolerance policy for using Betaseron while in the program.

The head of Neurology at Kaiser in Redwood City CA said it was more likely than not that my exacerbation WAS caused by my going off my MS medication.

i had to get a note from my Neurologist and go to the Board of Veterans Appeals in Oakland but I finally got my service connection. It has been a long road I have been rated SMC-R2 service connection just a few weeks ago. It has been a very long road!
          Rich
          Thanks for your service. I hope you got restitution back to your original date.
          The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Working...
          X