Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gilenya v. Copaxone? Or something completely different?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gilenya v. Copaxone? Or something completely different?

Neuro strongly suggested Gilenya, but also said Copaxone would be a fine treatment. He said Gilenya would be the more aggressive treatment. I thought I had my mind made up, but then researching all the meds gets very overwhelming. I know he also mentioned one more but I can’t remember if he said Extavia (sp?) or Tecfidera.

Is there a MS meds list break-down somewhere that would help me choose? Would I be out of line to suggest something that my neuro didn’t mention?
    DX 3/2018; started Ocrevus 3/30/18 (EDSS 2.5)

"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day."
    - 2 Corinthians 4:16

Comparing DMD
    Hi smalltowngirl,

The information is overwhelming. I go to a MS doctor in Seattle and they put together this chart to try to help patients sort through information.

No, you would not be out of line to suggest a medication that your neuro does not, you are the one with the disease.

I hope this chart helps.

https://www.swedish.org/~/media/Imag...paringDMTs.pdf
    Linda
    Diagnosed RRMS 1985
    Tysabri 5/07-3/10: Avonex 8/10
    Linda
    Diagnosed RRMS 1985

Comment

scampergirl,

Thank you SO much. I am such a visual person, that is exactly what I needed. I appreciate that so very much. So helpful! 😊
      DX 3/2018; started Ocrevus 3/30/18 (EDSS 2.5)

"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day."
      - 2 Corinthians 4:16

Comment

Comparing DMD

You're very welcome! I wish you the best of health.
        Linda
        Diagnosed RRMS 1985

Comment

Scampergirl - this chart is great!

With your permission, I'd like to make the link visible as a Sticky in our medication forum. I think it will help so many members
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I agree that this is an excellent chart. Choosing a drug with the strongest efficacy along with side effects that you find tolerable will provide you with the greatest potential for stabilization of your MS.

Comment

Seasha

I am going to Swedish tomorrow, I will make sure and ask. I don’t think that there will be any problem, it is already on their website.
              Linda
              Diagnosed RRMS 1985

Comment

Seasha,

I talked with my PA about this chart and she in turn asked Dr Bowen. He said no problem! Knowledge is power! Post away!
                Linda
                Diagnosed RRMS 1985

Comment

scampergirl - I have had MS since there were only 3 approved treatments (called the ABC drugs) and have watched each new treatment come out in hopes of a cure.

Your chart is the GREATEST!
                  I looked at it again this morning in prep for a visit with my neuro. He feels strongly about the need to be on a DMT, but I feel just as strongly about my decision to NOT be on a DMT. Since my MS has always been fairly mild he agreed to do things my way with the option to revisit the issue later.

Understand that my decision is based on 28 years of living with MS, and several drug fails. MRI's are stable and I am likely into SPMS now. Still dx'ed RRMS, but to be realistic there aren't many DMT's that are designed to do much for people not having relapses.

BUT - the chart is absolutely the BEST tool developed for MS'ers. Between Marco's post on DMT's AND this chart we finally have a way to compare the important facts needed for decisions on which DMT is best for us.

THANK YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by scampergirl View Post
                    Seasha,

I talked with my PA about this chart and she in turn asked Dr Bowen. He said no problem! Knowledge is power! Post away!
                    Ok - this chart will now be located in the Medication Forum and listed as a permanent sticky thread (just below the list of all the DMT's) https://www.msworld.org/forum/showth...omparing-DMT-s

Thanks scampergirl I've heard Dr. Bowen give talks before - he's very knowledgeable!
                    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
                    X