About me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About me

My name is Steven Jensen. I just registered today. I am a 32 year old medically retired Marine Corps Combat Veteran. I have been married to the most amazing women for 8 years. We have 2 beautiful little boys together. Throughout my life I would say that I have been a very motivated, caring, honest, loving, fun to be around type of guy. I served 5 years in the Marine Corps as a military police officer. My life was on track, I was motivated, and just loved every minute of everyday.

I was deployed to Afghanistan in 2009 through 2010. Deployment was rough, alot of broken hearts, and broken homes from the lives that were lost in service to our country. I was fortunate to have returned home. I was involved in a roadside bomb that put me into a grand mal seizure. I had to be medically retired out of the Marine Corps because of it. I was devastated by that. From the day I was told I would no longer be an active duty marine, my life started to slowly fall apart.

Turned to alcohol to block everything. All my thoughts, worries, and feelings. I beat myself up even more because I told myself that my wife was not going to be able to look up to me as much as she did when I was in the Marines. I have been very grateful that she has continued to stand by my side no matter what, with her full heart. I wish I could turn back time and educated myself more on these issue before they took a hold of me.

Over the years things just kept getting worse and worse. My drinking became my mask, so I can hide from the world. I have been diagnosed with ptsd, TBI, and generalized seizure disorder. I did not know why I could not get myself together. Constantly trying to change my life for the better.

A few months ago I started having numbness and tingling in my chest, arms, hands, and feet. Along with vibrations from my neck to my feet when I point my head down. I did not think anything of it because those feelings have come and gone for years now, and then go away, but always come back. I thought it was just my herniated L4/L5. I was wrong. My wife insisted I go in to have it checked, so I did. My primary care refers me to a Nerologist. He has me get an MRI of my neck, and brain. Along with a lumbar puncture.

The results came back with 15 plus lesions on my brain and more throughout my spine. The lumbar puncture tested positive for MS. The Nerologist today have confirmed that I have chronic MS. He has ordered me to start taking copaxone injectable 3x per week for the next 8 months. After 8 months he wants to get another MRI to see if any more lesions have formed. Then I go from there with the same treatment if all is the same or different cancer based treatment if things have gotten any worse over the months.

Anyways I just wanted to share a little bit of my life with everyone. I have just been really struggling and I was told that the MS is most likely caused by environmental exposure to the middle East when I deployed to Afghanistan. I was also told that MS is a major cause of depression, anxiety, and poor judgment/choices. Which have made alot of poor choices. All of these poor choices have started post deployment, and never before that. I'm writing this in hopes of support and feedback for my current situation.

I absolutely am desperate to find ways to better cope with these symptoms, so I can ultimately prevent more emotional hurt towards my family, and myself. I want my family and I to enjoy the rest of our lives together even with a diagnosis of ms that i will have ro live with forever. Thank you.

P.S. I would really like to hear feedback from anyone that can relate or thinks/feels that the MS and all these brain lesions in my frontal lobe and else where on the brain is directly responsible for my change and depression to hide, drink, anger, anxiety, medication, and so on?

I was never like this before Afghanistan. I do have ptsd but this is not ptsd. I got past all that happened years ago. I'm just trying to find out if the brain damage is a major reason of my actions since deployment. Considering my Nerologist/MS doctor is saying that I got MS from environmental exposure to the middle East when I deployed to Afghanistan from 2009-2010.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Hi Steven and welcome to MSWorld ~ Thank you for your service.

You have been going through many difficult struggles, and now you must add MS to the mix, which isn't fair, to say the least.

Many of us with MS have sought counseling with a therapist to help sort things out. I know that it helped me tremendously.

If you are still using alcohol, a support group may prove beneficial too.

I don't know the answers to your environmental exposure questions regarding MS symptoms.

You might want to ask other vets about that in the Military Veterans with MS forum.

https://www.msworld.org/forum/forumd...terans-with-MS

In any case, good luck with your treatment. Hopefully your symptoms will improve, and you will enjoy your life and family once again.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, and please continue to let us know what's going on with you.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi SemperFi and welcome.

I'm so sorry you have been through the wringer with your experiences. I've heard of many military personal after combat coming home to a number of autoimmune conditions.

I agree with KoKo that seeking help with professional mental health provider is beneficial and sometime you may want to look into. Maybe you have already done so to address the PTSD, but this is different. Having lesions on you frontal lobe can affect your personality greatly!

This article is abut traumatic brain injury, but explains that lesions in the frontal lobe can cause many symptoms.

"The frontal lobes are considered our emotional control center and home to our personality. There is no other part of the brain where lesions can cause such a wide variety of symptoms (Kolb & Wishaw, 1990). The frontal lobes are involved in motor function, problem solving, spontaneity, memory, language, initiation, judgement, impulse control, and social and sexual behavior. The frontal lobes are extremely vulnerable to injury due to their location at the front of the cranium, proximity to the sphenoid wing and their large size. MRI studies have shown that the frontal area is the most common region of injury following mild to moderate traumatic brain injury (Levin et al., 1987)."

https://www.neuroskills.com/brain-in...ntal-lobes.php

Thanks for reaching out to us and let us know if we can be of more help. I'm glad your wife is there for you 100%. Thanks for your service!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thank you for devoting your career to serving others. It is hard to go from that to losing one´s career and I imagine that contributed to the depression. I just finished a long article about MS and the various therapies available. Have you asked your neurologist why he/she is not recommending a newer therapy that is more efficacious? Copaxone has fewer side effects but is not as effective.

Things you can do on your own to keep your brain as healthy as possible that are outside of taking medicines: exercise, meditation, healthy diet- at a minimum ditch processed foods, sleep, social interaction. As a Marine, you already have the habits of mind and body to include the non-medical interventions.

Remember, your worth is due to who you are and not what you do. So if there are days when you cannot do what you used to, try to be easy on yourself.

There are supplements that you may want to look into- alpha lipoic acid, NAC, NAG, vitamin D3, Magnesium, primrose oil, probiotic, ubiquinol, PQQ, and milk thistle.

Comment

Thanks for your service. Sorry you have to deal with this but such is life. You may already know this but MS is considered service related if diagnosed while active or within 7 years of discharge. It's good for 30% right off the bat, more if your symptoms are really bad. Really hard to figure out if your actions are impacted by the MS, maybe it's the TBI or the drinking, who knows. Realizing you have a problem is a great first step toward fixing it.

I'll be frank and I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. Drop the alcohol and focus on your relationships. Get help if you need to, there are plenty of Veteran organizations as well as the MS community and outfits like AA that can help. Let me know if you need me to help you with that.

**URL removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines #6. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to your Username on black bar running across top of page > My Settings > Edit Profile**

Go Navy!
          Last edited by KoKo; 02-23-2018, 12:02 PM.
          The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

About me

Steven,
            I served as a M60 machine gunner in Vietnam from late 1967 to March of 1968 so I understand your esprit de corps having served with pride with the 101st Airborne Division.

I have been married three times and by my 3rd marriage I realized that I needed help. I went for 3 months as an inpatient at the national center for PTSD in 2000 and have been going to Grad Group every Tuesday evening since graduation. We normally have between 6 to 18 vets who have graduated from the program.

I went into the program because I wanted to be a better person for my wife and myself. Without doubt it has helped my marriage and helped me deal with my rage. The group is a hear and know group not dealing with the trauma of war.

I could say so much more but will stop for now.
            Rich

Comment

Working...
            X