Question for Seasha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for Seasha

Hi there Seasha. Always nice to see your name. I was reading a post you had written and ended up a bit confused. (what's new?). You mentioned when you turned 65????? you went back to regular SS. I was ALWAYS told my amount would stay the same as what I'm getting now in DSS. Did it go up, down, or remain close. It's funny just last week because I'm applying for assistance with the hospital and they request copies of the rewards you receive and I happened to ask the agent if my amour would ever change down the road with age. She replied NO! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Well, just a question that perked my curiosity.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Take good care......
    Susie Q ;D

Diagnosed 6-28-14
    RRMS
    Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Hi Susie!

Yes, that's correct. When I turned 65, the SSDI that I had been on (disability status) changed to SS (regular social security). I received the same amount of money regardless of the status.

Are you getting close to receiving SS? Rest assured the $ amt won't change when you do.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Seasha, another question.

I am a little younger than you guys, and my retirement age is higher than 65. Does that mean that I will stay on SSDI until I reach my current retirement age?
      And I am assuming that LTD will continue on until I reach my retirement age also?

Comment

Just saw this thread and thought I'd add feedback related to my specific situation.

My retirement age is higher than 65 too but my current LTD policy is only paying me until l'm 65. I was under 60 when I qualified for the policy and it has slightly different payout terms if qualified when over 60.

Comment

My husband just reminded me that I was 66, not 65 when I got on regular Social Security. So much for my swiss cheese brain.

And msjigo, yes you will stay on SSDI until you reach retirement age...unless you go back to work.

And I'm sorry I can't help with questions about LTD as I was never on this. Hopefully, someone else familiar with it can answer your questions.
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thanks!

Hi Seasha!

I just turned 61! YiPPie SKiPPie! Your answer was what I was looking for. Thank you.

S

Diagnosed 6-28-14
            RRMS
            Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

Your SSDI converts to SS at your normal retirement age at the same amount you were getting. So for those of us in the late baby boomer crop- that is age 67.
              I also have an LTD policy and it goes until 67 as that is my SS retirement age. Read your policy carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by msgijo View Post
                Seasha, another question.

I am a little younger than you guys, and my retirement age is higher than 65. Does that mean that I will stay on SSDI until I reach my current retirement age?
                And I am assuming that LTD will continue on until I reach my retirement age also?
                You really need to read the policy. My retirement per social security is 67. Both my employer and private LTD policies are 65.

If you don't have the policy, it may be in the initial award letter, where they tell you the amount. Mine stated the date benefits end if I remained disabled. Both companies have an online portal that also show benefit end date. You could always request the policy as well.
                Kathy
                DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
                X