X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exercise Check-In for 02/15/18

Seven people checked in this week.

GOALS REACHED:
    Four made goals. Good job to all of those who succeeded this week. Diamond, so sorry about your fall. Good idea to change your goal for the next week.

Two of us made partial goals.

GOALS MISSED:
    None of us did nothing. I think that is worth noting. That even when we don't necessarily succeed at our entire goal, that we are trying and continuing to move our bodies.

OTHER:
    AbidingJones -- We hope to see you back again!

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Made my goal, with a little bit of "flexible reporring"

These were my goals:
    1. Average of 2,000 steps per day.
    2. Exercises at least 4 times out of 7 days. Silver Sneakers, Wellness Center, PT or something else.

Steps:
    Th- 2247 steps
    F - 2610 steps; went to Kansas City for my MRI and MS appointment
    S - 1658 steps
    S - 1419 steps
    Mon - 2592 steps, Wellness Center
    Tue - 2964 steps, Silver Sneakers
    W - 1657 steps, PT exercises at home
    Total: 15,147 steps; average 2164 per day

I'm going to count my exercises as 4 days. Really, there are only 3 on there, but I did more walking than normal in Kansas City so I'll count that as one day.

I'll continue the same goals for next week.
    ~ Faith
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Goal - >4000 steps/day on 4 or more days with an average of 3500 steps/day.

Made goals . Walked over 4K steps/day on 4 days with an average of 5030 steps / day.

Thu 4098
      Fri 3340
      Sat 2648
      Sun 4707
      Mon 4820
      Tue 6598
      Wen 3997
      I will keep same goals for next week.

As I was typing this in I was wondering how I got so many steps (flu has been kicking butt) then I realized that I had spent MUCH time walking to the bathroom .

I am feeling better from the flu, but am concerned about tightness in chest. I don't want to go to the dr because I am NOT wanting to hear pneumonia. So I will continue to watch that and use my steps as a guide to how sick I am .

Comment

Great job on the step counts, Mamabug and msgijo!

We had a few days of no rain, so I walked outside 2 times using my trekking poles - I don't have a "counter", so I counted in my head. 427 and 410. Baby steps, I know, but that's a plus for me doing it without stopping.

So, along with babysitting twice, grocery shopping (which was probably more than 400 steps!) and cleaning out closets and cupboards, I made my goal.

Hope you all have a good "keep-on-moving" week ahead.
        msgijo - hope you keep on feeling better
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Great work out Seasha.
          God Bless Us All

Comment

I made goal. Rode bike 3 days, I went grocery shopping with dh and I did some house work. I hope to keep moving as much as possible.

Mamabug, msgijo and Seasha, Good job!
            God Bless Us All

Comment

Hello everybody

It's really great to see everyone trying to get some form of exercise and move about.

I made goal too - up on feet (with rollator), 4X a day at 30 min each, every day (standing, doing activities, or walking) - and stretches.

This includes doing 5 slow walks, at 30 min each, during the week.

I don't foresee any increase in my activities any time soon. I feel that I have reached my maximum as far as energy use (at least for now anyways, as you never really know for sure).

I'll try to keep this current goal for as long as possible.

Wishing everyone a terrific week, filled with good energy!
              PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Sorry I'm Late!!!

Hello Team Exercisers! Before I begin I need to know something. Are all these steps included in a day total OR are these serperate walks from our in the house steps. It was a tougher week because of many aches and pains. My goal is to go 4 days at 2500 steps or more on a separate walk than in the house. I want to hear Faith how you are all doing it. This week I included my steps on separate walks.

Didn't do too much of anything on the weekend

Monday - 1024
                Tuesday -2166
                Wednesday - 2690

Total: 5880 =1960 for the 3 days I counted. BOO! Didn't make it.

Diagnosed 6-28-14
                RRMS
                Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

Good Job Team!

I have to say this is much more motivating for me. Thank you. I remember a couple of years ago we did this and I LOVED it!! Have a SUPER weekend.

Diagnosed 6-28-14
                  RRMS

Comment

Originally posted by Diamond57 View Post
                    ...Are all these steps included in a day total OR are these separate walks from our in the house steps...
                    Hi diamond. For me the totals are ALL steps that I take daily. Understand that I live in a rural area and have dogs (6) cats and chickens. So a day for me will include feeding up, walking to mailbox and gathering eggs later in the day.
                    My husband had a brain hemorrhage about 1 1/2 years ago, so I am taking care of him as well as doing most household/yard chores. He lost a lot of vision and can no longer drive, and cannot read or manage our doctor schedules, so I have to do all all of that also.
                    Occasionally I will do something extra (I love flowers and have in the past done yard work). I also do volunteer work (food bank at my church) so that involves a couple of days of increased steps each month.

It is just easier for me to check my fitness band to see how many steps I take each day vs tracking them for each activity. And it has other neat features like sleep function and a calorie counter (which I do not use). It displays a weeks worth of data so that helps me with check-ins every week.

I will normally list any 'extra' things that I do, but unfortunately most of those steps are just my 'have to do' everyday activities . Today the cat brought in a bird, so I had to chase the bird down and catch it to get it back outside away from the cat . That resulted in numerous steps!

While it may seem like I am 'cheating' by not doing anything more than normal activities to me it shows that I am moving each day. And it IS exercise. I would love to have the time, stamina and determination to do actual dedicated exercise (PT is something that I feel everyone can benefit from), but I am thankful that I am able to do as much as I can.

Don't beat yourself up about not making your goal for one week - We want our goals to challenge us without killing us! Just try to increase a little each day and barring health problems you will be able to do it .

Comment

Diamond, I'm glad you find this motivating. When this weekly thread died a couple of years ago, I didn't think I'd miss it.

But I noticed that my activity level decreased without it, so I started it.

Regarding my steps, I count my total steps, for the whole day. I just leave my tracker on day and night, except for in the pool.

However, mine doesn't have a GPS, so, it doesn't officially measure steps. It measures my arm moving back and forth. So it doesn't count shopping steps when I'm pushing a cart, etc. And it does include arm motions when I'm doing chair exercises. Although I'm usually using my legs at the same time.

But, please set your goal any way you prefer. That's our purpose; to be flexible enough so we can all be individual and set goals that motivate us with our different interests and abilities.
                      ~ Faith
                      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Man, I have a step counter somewhere, I should find it. I did a LOT of shoveling in the beginning of this check in. Holy cow. Was very stiff and sore after. I also did some cleaning, which I will do again today and tomorrow. I have not started stretching/yoga yet. I did see my neurologist and she agrees I need activity that is more Ying than Yang. I am already high strung, and she said no running (I joked I would love to resume running one day). She suggested the yoga/walking/stretching.

In one week both the pain management doc and neurologist mentioned my anxiety and high strung nature. I am listening. I am thinking about it and working on ways to reduce stress and anxiety.

I have a free fitness center at work that I could take advantage of by just hopping on the treadmill for 30 minutes walking before going home. I am so fortunate my work place has free health initiatives available for us. I am going to take advantage of more of these.
                        Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

Msigil and Faith

Thank you both for the response. M.....so sorry to hear about your hubbie. You really do alot of steps!!! Great! Faith, I remember when you started this and I'm glad we both agree it's a motivational tool. Well now I have the scoop and will stick by my goal hitting 2500.

Diagnosed 6-28-14
                          RRMS

Comment

Did not make my goal completely

I struggled to get exercises done on two days. I am impressed with all the effort you all are putting into keeping the body moving. Karen

Comment

Working...
                            X