Question about begining the process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about begining the process

I've decided to begin the process of filing for SSDI. It's overwhelming and confusing. Do I need to start off with filling out the application on the Social Security page? Does my neurologist need to do anything for me before I file? I just don't know where the starting point for this is.

I stopped working in October 2017 because of balance, fatigue, and stressful issues. After almost falling down the steps at work I decided it was time to stop working. I worked for there for 35 years. There was no short or long term disability available that I know of.

I guess I'm wondering what I need to do first.

I appreciate any information you can give.

Thank you

Allison

This pdf file from the NMSS is really helpful in explaining the whole process and helping you get started-

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Pr...by=3&order=asc Download the brochure or bookmark it for further reference.

There is a lot of information here, but very comprehensive.
    Good luck with the SSDI process, Allison!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I'll second Seasha's recommendation to consider the National MS Society's Guidebook (I helped write it!). Your neurologist doesn't necessarily have to complete any forms before you file, but your best practice is to discuss whether he/she supports your application.

Should you choose to move forward without an attorney, I recommend you file online, as there are many pitfalls to filing on the phone or in person. Although I am biased, you may want to consider counsel to assist you in the process, as we can provide information on what to expect and coordinate between you, the SSA and your neurologist.

It's a challenging process, and I wish you the best.
      Attorney Jamie R. Hall's practice is focused on assisting individuals with claims and appeals for Social Security Disability and Long Term Disability benefits. He has assisted claimants nationwide, approximately half of whom are MS patients, from his Pennsylvania and Ohio locations. **No attorney/client relationship is created by this communication, and information provided herein is not a substitute for formal advisement.**

Comment

Thank you so much for your info. It is much appreciated.

Allison

Comment

Working...
        X