Optic Neuritis and Still?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optic Neuritis and Still?

December 27th my left eye went blurry. It was almost like there was goop in my eye but there wasn't. I could make out basic shapes and colors but that was it for two days. Then the vision came back but it was like looking through a cone. I had no peripheral vision whatsoever in that eye and it hurt. I went to a local opthamologist who ended up sending me to a second opthamologist who performed even more tests just so they both could tell me that they did not know but thought it was neurological. One of the eye tests the second doctor did was had my head in a thing where I stared forward into a light that knew if you looked away and I had to push a button every time that I saw a light. The right eye when the test was done and they printed it out showed light grays where the left was dark grays to black mostly with lighter in the center. So that confirmed my loss of peripheral vision. The last doc made an appointment for me with the optical neurologist who is getting me in asap which is early April. The neurologist I was seeing says yes that is what he thinks it is is ON.

Now into February there are times that I would rather that the eye was not there as it hurts and goes funny with lights. I have found that fluorescent lights cause real strange things with my eye almost a strobe effect. The cone has really widened so side vision is returning but when my GP has me look straight ahead and has the nurse move a hand on both sides of my head from the rear I catch the right as soon as it is even with that eye and the left when it is seen and he puts his hand to hers than shows me where that comes out is about two inches in front of my nose. My GP just gave me steroids (swallow kind) as I just had my eye go real weird when I had not slept and was up over 24 hours. But it felt like the steroids were making my eye hurt a little again, not to mention what they did to my stomach. So does this even sound like ON? They won't do an MRI as there was nothing on my eyes when the last one was done in November.

Your experience sounds very similar to mine when I lost all peripheral vision in both eyes - my left more pronounced than the right. The strobe like effect sounds identical to my experience as well as the pain involved. After an eye exam and an MRI, with consult with a neurologist, it was confirmed that I had ON. I could not read, nor drive, nor work for around 6-7 week or so.

I was given a 5 day IV steroid treatment and, after being in limbo for 10 years, I was finally dx with MS. The steroids didn't really help and were hell on earth, but that's another story.

So sorry you are going though this and I hope your vision returns to normal soon.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thank you very much. I really appreciate the response. I am finding that the color red really irritates my eye. It is hard to look at.

Comment

Working...
      X