Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting my pump/limitations?

Hey all!
    I'm finally getting my baclofen pump in March after getting my leave approved and saving the time up to pay for my days off.

I'm taking my family to Disney in November / December and will probably be in a scooter, but with a pump, can I ride coasters and such. Is there risk for dislodging the spinal catheter or magnets from the rides? Anything weird?

I plan to ask the neurosurgeon, but have a couple weeks until I see him again.
    Thanks!

Hi....
    I'm on my second pump and I have had no limitations with either.

I haven't ridden any roller coasters. But if they can withstand an MRI with no problems I'm sure you could do a roller coaster or two.

Have fun on your trip!!

Comment

Hi...

I have my second pump in and I have had no problems with either.

I haven't ridden any roller coasters but I think if they can withstand a MRI you should be ok

Have fun on your trip.

Comment

Hi Sazed

I hope you have a good trip to Disney. I know you will have a good time.

I have had a pump since 1999. I am on my 4th pump. I have not been limited in any way by the pump...Well, I can't go sky diving. But I have been able to go tandem hang gliding. Currently, I am doing a therapeutic horseback riding program. I am starting my 14th year of doing it.

Wishing you the best, Bob

Comment

Baclofen Pump

Hello All,

I am interested in your experiences with the Baclofen pump. At what point did you decide it was time to pursue this? I have spasticity but not the spasms that cause me pain. For example, if I am standing, holding onto the counter and I get go I drop forward like a rag doll. I do core exercises but apparently it's not enough. I am currently taking 120 mg/day.

Thank you!
          Linda
          Diagnosed RRMS 1985
          Tysabri 5/07-3/10: Avonex 8/10

Comment

Thank you

I appreciate your responses. That makes me feel better about the trip. Take care.

Comment

Hi Linda

I have had a baclofen pump since 1999. I am currently on my 4th pump. It is the 3rd generation of the pump. Before I got the pump, I was on 120 mgs of oral baclofen. That didn't even touch my spasticity.
              In 1999, I had foot surgery on my right foot. That surgery set off my spasticity, especially in my right leg. While I would sit in my recliner, my right leg would spasm up to my chest.
              I got referred to a pain management dr about the baclofen pump. We discussed the pump and I felt comfortable with it. This is my disclaimer, we did not do a pump study. I am fully behind doing one.

There are 2 sizes of pumps. One size is 20 cc and one is 40 cc's. I have the pump that holds 40 cc's. I get my pump refill every 4 and a half months. My current dose is 119 mikagrams daily. The longest time you can go between refills is 6 months, due to the shelf life of the liquid baclofen.

In my experience, having my pump has allowed me to do what ever I want to do, without dealing with spasticity. I walk with a cane, drive, work, etc. I also do therapeutic horseback riding. I am very active and have had no pump issues with my activities.

Take Care, Bob

Comment

Bob,

Thank you. I am seeing the doctor next Friday and I will definitely bring this up.
                Linda
                Diagnosed RRMS 1985
                Tysabri 5/07-3/10: Avonex 8/10

Comment

Working...
                X