Just diagnosed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just diagnosed

I’m 31 a guy and Irish I was visiting family for Xmas when the left side of me went numb and went to hospital I’m not in a orthopedic hospital with a few weeks left of physcio I’m pretty scared about what awaits me and have been avoiding googleing ms cause it’s scary af pretty much pushed away people from my old life sorta need someone to talk too before i crack up

I am in a orthopedic hospital **

Comment

In the US there are social workers in the hospital who will take the time to talk to you about your anxiety and your support system going forward upon returning home. Does this exist there?

Comment

Hi FeelingFairly,
        Welcome and thanks for reaching out to us.

I'm sorry to hear you are in the hospital now and hope you can recover shortly. You didn't mention, but have you been officially diagnosed with MS? Have you been to see a neurologist? Do you have a family support system that can be of help to you once you leave the hospital?

If you have already been diagnosed with MS, you will want to know there is a MS Society in Ireland. You might want to search the following 2 links to see if there is some local support for you.

http://www.ms-society.ie/ On the bottom right corner, there is a searching tool by the map to find support near you.

also this - http://www.nai.ie/go/membership/list...ety-of-ireland

Both offer information that is closer to home for you. Of course, we are also here to offer support and information. Take care!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi thanks for replying yeap a woman from the ms society of Ireland Came to visit me and I’m speaking to someone in the hospital for the anxiety but I dunno the more I read about this the more screwed I feel like I never imagined I would have this up until I was told I thought it was a viral infection I had a mri etc it’s defo ms I’m able to walk but both legs feel tight and numb and my lower back feels really tight hands are tight and numb I’m still able to use them though it’s almost like a clamping feeling

they started me on tysaberi.amm family are fairly useless they visit etc but just wind me up I’ve never really been close to them I have no idea what awaits which is scaring the crap out of me I keep thinking worse case scenario of what I have read and even if it’s a few years of what I’m like now that feels like hard work just being able to walk it’s a complete departure of life as I knew it

ps this ms was a complete surprise I never knew about it before a few weeks ago when the neuro guy told me

Comment

Hi FeelingFairly and welcome to MSWorld.

Originally posted by FeelingFairly View Post
            I’m able to walk but both legs feel tight and numb and my lower back feels really tight hands are tight and numb I’m still able to use them though it’s almost like a clamping feeling
            It sounds like you have spasticity. Your neuro may prescribe meds that help reduce the tightness. Physical therapy and regular stretching may also help.

Good luck with your recovery.

Take Care
            PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Jesus it’s actually called spasisity hah think they would come up with something nicer sounding so is it possible that can go away on its own all in taking is vitamin d and tysaberi with a hour of physcio a day

Comment

Jesus it’s actually called spasisity hah think they would come up with something nicer sounding so is it possible that can go away on its own all in taking is vitamin d and tysaberi with a hour of physcio a day
                I have spasticity, but it only shows up under certain conditions - such as when I get too cold or too warm, when humidity is too high, when I have a viral infection, bladder infection, or fever, or from overactivity.

I do not take any meds for spasticity. I do daily stretches and move around as much as possible, which helps, and try to avoid things that trigger the spasticity.

If interested, here is a list of triggers:

https://www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/spast...icity-triggers

Also good info on spasticity:

https://mymsaa.org/ms-information/symptoms/spasticity/

Take Care
                ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thanks

so what I’m being told is physcio is going to get me as close to my baseline before all this happend as possible but with only a few weeks left I can’t see them making much progress you can’t tell I have it but My word like it’s so much harder to walk and my balance is screwed and I’ve had to retrain my hands to not be clampers

Comment

Thanks

so what I’m being told is physcio is going to get me as close to my baseline before all this happend as possible but with only a few weeks left I can’t see them making much progress you can’t tell I have it but My word like it’s so much harder to walk and my balance is screwed and I’ve had to retrain my hands to not be clampers
                    FeelingFairly

You might be surprised at how much progress can be made in a few weeks of physio, along with your own body trying to recover. Also, you'll need to continue ongoing stretching on your own when you go home, for best results.

Have they mentioned any of the spasticity meds to help with your stiffness while walking, as you're going through the physio and recovering?

Take Care

Comment

Nope nothing new I mentioned the spasticity today and they said that’s not what I have if I did I would know all about it so it must be plain ms symptoms basically both legs feel clamped and stiff to bend the knees I’m able to walk normally but I have to pay attention and put effort in as opposed to it being natural

Comment

Tysabri is a great drug to be on. While it is to stop relapses and slow progression, there are some people who actually see improvement while on it after 3-6 months. There is a sub forum in the medications forum that might help.

Here's hoping that you are out of the hospital and walking better now.
                        Kathy
                        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
                        X