Accomplishing many things and need to return here for support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accomplishing many things and need to return here for support

Hello, I am a returned member with a new life. I have taken many steps to change and improve my lifestyle and health. This includes leaving a marriage to an abusive, self-centered, mentally ill man. This includes having 2 jobs where I was harassed daily until I found this awesome, new one.

Recently, I dumped my old Neurologist, because he was very old, contrary and difficult to work with. He was insistent that the more drugs for MS symptoms, the better. I was so doped up on Baclofen, Trileptal, Ritalin, Citalopram and some migraine med- I could not think straight. I also had horrible reactions to Tecfidera and Aubagio-which he disputed. When I asked about medical marijuana (legal in my state, and MS is at the top of the list of conditions), he scoffed. When I asked about holistic approaches and anti-inflammatory lifestyle, he scoffed. But he threw all that other stuff at me. I took control last summer and began safely stepping down all those drugs. The withdrawal was horrifying, it took 6 months to get off all that. I learned I am too sensitive to medications.

I stumbled upon a Pain Management Clinic a few miles from my house that supports holistic, natural ways to respond to pain and also prescribes medical marijuana. This guy is the coolest. He is a spunky Middle Eastern guy who directed me to try guided meditation on Spotify and buy a light therapy box for my seasonal depression. Who would have thought that medical marijuana and CBD Oil could combat anxiety, headaches, spasticity, Trigeminal Neuralgia and other nerve pain? I had no idea. He suggested Epsom Salt baths and using magnesium for spasticity and muscle pain.

I have found a young, hip Neurologist who agrees that combining holistic with pharmaceutical is the best way to go to treat MS. She is the coolest, she has a degree in Mechanical Engineering and then went to Med School. The motto at their office is 'Neurology is both Art and Science'. She is Indian and vegan, and did not laugh at me when I mentioned I was going to adopt an anti-inflammatory lifestyle, learn to meditate and try yoga as part of my MS treatment. I already use vitamins and supplements to combat symptoms and they help. I am very happy with my Copaxone 40 mg.

I recently had an accidental New Year's goal to reduce anxiety, avoid toxic people and treat my mild depression naturally. At work, I began streamlining, and I learned to say 'NO'. Coworkers were taking advantage of my goodwill, and were draining me by not taking initiative for themselves. I dropped a 'friend' who drinks too much, is a backstabbing, negative person and is very gossipy. This makes me uncomfortable, and I do not wish to associate with her. I stopped drinking alcohol because it doesn't mix well with medical marijuana, and lo and behold I have less headaches. Those 2 or 3 martinis a week don't sound like much, but alcohol is very inflammatory, and I was unaware it was affecting me that way. I am in weekly therapy with a counselor and I love it.

I am actually now trying to climb out of a relapse. Going off those drugs and stress at work caused it. I took 2 week oral prednisone, which helped but I'm not out of the woods. Also I have a cold, which disappoints me, as it will set me back.

My new goals are to lose all this extra weight. 50 pounds. Commit to anti-inflammatory diet. Drink 64 ounces of water every day. Start stretching and yoga. Go back to acupuncture. Catch up on housework and home maintenance. The drugs my old Neuro had me on caused apathy and lack of ambition, so nothing got done in forever. I need to take it slow, and not try to do too much. I need to also pay better attention to my boyfriend, because all of this has affected our relationship, hopefully not permanently. I may actually lose him due to all of these issues over the last years. This has been very difficult for him.
    Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Hi LisaL77 and welcome back ~ I should say welcome back to a new YOU as well! I love your comeback story and thanks so much for sharing.

You are so fortunate to have found a new neuro who agrees with your lifestyle approach of combining holistic/alternative approaches along with a DMT. I'm happy to hear you have nixed all those toxic people in your life and I wish you well on your new journey!

Good luck with all your positive changes! You deserve them
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi LisaL77

Welcome back!

Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Good luck with your goals!

Take Care
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thank you Seasha and Koko. I am lucky to no longer be spiraling downward, but rather onward and upward. I was experiencing suicidal thoughts from my meds and worsening depression, and I am so glad I took action.

I feel very blessed that I stumbled upon 2 awesome healthcare professionals who are literally a few miles from home, as driving tires me. I hope I can be an inspiration to others who feel helpless and out of control.
        Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

Working...
        X