Case Review - SSI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Case Review - SSI

I am the Representative Payee for my adult son. He was awarded benefits in March 2017, retroactive to October 2016. His award letter stated he would be reviewed in three years.
    I just received a notice in the mail that a case review via telephone has been for next Monday. SSA wants to speak with me.
    Anyone know what types of questions I will be asked? Why is this review less than a year he was awarded benefits when award letter stated a review would be done in 3 years?

Case reviews are generally conducted on a rolling basis; the three year timeline you were provided was the initial anticipation by the adjudicator, but can be modified if the SSA sees good cause to do so.

Generally, questions on review are rather simple. They need to confirm the continuing existence of the condition and resulting limitations, the nature of recent treatment, discuss what the benefits are being spent on (specifically because there is a representative payee), and anticipated future treatment and prognosis. They will also confirm whether any work has occurred since the decision date.

In my experience, it is somewhat unusual for reviews to go past this stage. This is somewhat of a 'check up' by the SSA to avoid creating an overpayment when there are clear reasons to cease payments. Nevertheless, should benefits be denied, an appeal within 10 days of the denial should keep benefits flowing during the penance of the appeal. You will want to read the decision to confirm this timeline and discuss with counsel to verify the pros and cons of filing an appeal.

Good luck!
    Attorney Jamie R. Hall's practice is focused on assisting individuals with claims and appeals for Social Security Disability and Long Term Disability benefits. He has assisted claimants nationwide, approximately half of whom are MS patients, from his Pennsylvania and Ohio locations. **No attorney/client relationship is created by this communication, and information provided herein is not a substitute for formal advisement.**

Comment

Working...
    X