Cannabis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannabis

Cannabis stopped my sever bladder spams I was sitting on edge of bed in pain,about 10 min. My pain was gone.this stuff does wonders.I give it a 10

Thanks for sharing. I've heard about cannabis helping with some MS symptoms (such as pain). But, I wouldn't have thought about it for bladder spasms. I'm glad you found something that worked.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Cannabis for Paresthesia

Has anyone tried marijuana for paresthesia? This and spasticity are my very worst symptoms. I'm sure it would be a CBD and not the THC, has anyone used a specific strain that they have found beneficial?

Thank you in advance.
      Linda
      Diagnosed RRMS 1985
      Tysabri 5/07-3/10: Avonex 8/10

Comment

Im glad it has worked so well for you Carlyle I myself have given the cannabis a lot of thought but im just not ready to give up driving Craig

Comment

Originally posted by scampergirl View Post
          Has anyone tried marijuana for paresthesia? This and spasticity are my very worst symptoms. I'm sure it would be a CBD and not the THC, has anyone used a specific strain that they have found beneficial?
          In my experience the THC is more helpful for paresthesia. It doesn't really change anything, but it does provide enough of a distraction to let you *think* it did. Doesn't take much, either.

I don't believe much of what I hear about specific strains, since how they're grown is wildly variable (more than just indoor vs. outdoor). And if you're smoking/vaping flowers the THC will always be there overpowering the CBD anyway. You can have more control with extracts, but I haven't heard of any brands that can be consistent from batch to batch except pure CBD oil.
          1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
          NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Parathesia

Thank you for the information Mark. I will give that a try with a tiny bit to start. I know it won't take it away but any relief will be welcome.
            Linda
            Diagnosed RRMS 1985

Comment

I will give that a try with a tiny bit to start.
              Definitely try tiny amounts first, and try more than a couple of times that way before increasing the amount.

One problem with THC is that you build up tolerance, so you never want to use more than really helps with your actual problems (unless your real goal is to get 'high'). Assuming it does work for you, when you notice yourself needing 2x more for the same effect it's time to take a few weeks off (a month is better) and let your tolerance get back to normal.
              1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
              NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Cannibis

Thank you Mark for your thoughts, very helpful!
                Linda
                Diagnosed RRMS 1985

Comment

Cannabis research is currently exploding. There are over 60 cannabis companies listed on American and Canadian stock exchanges. Several are funding research relevant to PwMS. Here is what just one cannabis company, the largest, is dong according to a press release yesterday...

Canopy updates on cannabinoid research activities

Jun. 5, 2019 By: Douglas W. House, SA News Editor

"Spectrum Therapeutics, Canopy Growth's medical division, updates investors on its cannabinoid research activities.

Two Phase 1 studies, one in Canada and one in Chile, have been completed. Dosing and safety data will inform Phase 2 trials. The first proof-of-concept (POC) Phase 2b, evaluating medical cannabis for the potential treatment of insomnia, is in process with an expected completion date of Q2 2020. Topline data should be available in Q3 2020.

Over twenty conditions, including pain, sleep, and mood/anxiety disorders, are being investigated in other POC studies. It is also exploring the efficacy of CBD-based therapies in neurodegenerative disorders and for the treatment concussion symptoms. Preliminary results from a trial of the latter should be available by July 2020.

Recently acquired C3 Cannabinoid Compound Company is conducting a study of dronabinol for the potential treatment of spasticity associated with multiple sclerosis. Patient registration for a study assessing medical cannabis for the treatment of cancer-associated pain should start in September.

Spectrum has also launched a global pharmacovigilance program to document adverse events associated with medical cannabis products in addition to its recreational brands in Canada."

Comment

Thank you in advance.
                    I hear it works wonders for spasicity. I know one guy who was able to get off of baclofen when he started smoking cannabis. He also noticed he slept better and was more active. YMMV.
                    The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Having smoked weed and grown it for decades -- long before medical marijuana (MMJ) became legal -- I consider myself something of an expert on the topic.

First, different strains of weed can have very different impacts for us using it for MS. For me, for example, strains derived from the 1970s "Blueberry" strain of weed provide me with an energy boost that is better than any drug I've gotten from an MD. (Not a "meth-like" level of energy, but you know what I mean.)

I've had strains that changed me from walking like a drunken duck to being able to walk like I was an Army platoon sergeant again -- just by a couple of bong hits. The "problem" was that did not work every time and the duration varied from 5min to 5hrs. (The times it didn't work I was just left with a buzz, so it wasn't all bad. )

There are over 100 "cannabinoids" (the active ingredient chemicals in cannabis/marijuana). By "volume" a large majority are only 2 cannabinoids: THC and CBD.

But IMO it's the myriad of combinations of the 100+ small cannabinoids that are the key. The chemically-extracted THC or CBD-only stuff doesn't do much for me.

Originally posted by Boudreaux
                      I hear it works wonders for spasicity.
                      That's the CBD. I don't know if I'd say works wonders, but it certainly helps.

Originally posted by Boudreaux
                      I know one guy who was able to get off of baclofen when he started smoking cannabis. He also noticed he slept better and was more active. YMMV.
                      I was taking tizanidine which worked great for spasticity when baclofen was not doing the trick, but tizanidine was causing problems with my liver. I switched to a CBD-heavy strain of weed for those bad days and it allowed me to ditch the tizanidine and save my liver.

But overall, for cannabis the YMMV is the key. If doctors and feds would ever pull their heads out and research the massive combinations of cannabinoids, some serious medicine could be made!

A couple of thoughts: I no longer smoke, due to lung concerns and the fact that many late-stage MSers have lung issues. It's been proven repeatedly that cigarette smoking speeds up the progression of MS. I cannot imagine smoking weed would be much different.

But if you're in a MMJ state, you can buy full-plant (to get the entire spectrum of cannabinoids) oils. Most smoke the oil, but a drop on your finger wiped under the tongue will hit you just about as fast as smoking (it's absorbed by the mucous membranes in your mouth).

Many recommend "edibles" but many edibles are extracted cannabinoids and not the full spectrum of the plant. Plus, for me, ingesting the drug by eating it simply does not work as well (YMMV).
                      59M / RRMS / Dx1987 / Ocrevus

Comment

Originally posted by Golgotha View Post
                        Having smoked weed and grown it for decades -- long before medical marijuana (MMJ) became legal -- I consider myself something of an expert on the topic.
                        Expert....Nice

Originally posted by Golgotha View Post
                        like I was an Army platoon sergeant again
                        Thanks for your Service.

And thanks for the info
                        The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Working...
                        X