My hands are tied

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My hands are tied

I can’t do anything,I was a hard worker until m.s. it’s driving me crazy,watching my wife doing stuff,that I can no longer do.I don’t like to go outside because I see so much that needs fixing,any advice?

Your wife did not marry you for what you could do, rather, she married you for who you are.

What are your personality strengths? Can you talk someone else through the repair of something? Is there an inside job that you did not used to do but could do now? Paperwork?

Comment

Thank you for positive remarks,I have to be more positive

Comment

Yeah. You used to feel more "useful". You could contribute more to tasks around the home.

Probably many of us go through that, whether it is related to outdoor tasks, repairing things, indoor household tasks (such as cooking and cleaning), cognitive tasks (doing taxes, banking, etc), energy to run errands (grocery shopping, etc), ability to contribute to household income.

I'd echo was Temagami said. Your wife did not marry you for what you could do, but for who you are. Remind yourself of that.

But, also, allow yourself to grieve your losses and the changes that MS has forced you to make. Grieving, in its multiple stages, helps us to reach acceptance. And then, unfortunately, we will likely need to cycle through those difficult stages numerous times.
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi Carlyle yes sounds like me, I've been a tradesman for a lot of years and now I cant even nail 2 bits of wood together I get so crankry with myself so frustrated I hate it I also walk (drag myself) out side look at they need to do things in the yard and turn around and go back inside I have no answers are there any support groups that can help with chores around your place Craig

Comment

That is a great idea. A lot of high schools require a certain number of community service hours in order to graduate. Maybe the local school could send you a regular duo.

Comment

I wish I could be more positive

Comment

Here they have a group called blue care that help they organise tradesmen you just pay for materials and a small fee they are gov funded but run out of money quick, it seems to be the same people getting all the help not a little for everyone.

I am also having a rough trot at the moment and keeping positive is a job in itself, I have to keep reminding myself what I can do and what I have Craig

Comment

What do you do for energy?

I’ve been on lots of different energy tablets,but nothing seems to help,I try to exercise which it has helped me in past.I eat pretty good,thanks to wife

Comment

For me, taking alpha lipoic acid and ubiquinol (pre-cursor to CoQ10) seem to really make a difference. I also take the CVS 50+ probiotic. The 50+ refers to age. It has a higher number of strains than others and includes strains that have been in clinical trials. Try to see it as the tides with ebbs and flows and it will come back to you.

I have started up again with Duolingo French- to keep the noggin´ flexible and just signed up for a free month trial of The Great Courses which gives access to a multitude of courses. Just one lecture in and I now know the difference between taste and flavor.

Comment

Working...
                    X