Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it wrong to have a drink every now and then?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it wrong to have a drink every now and then?

I hardly ever drink-just wondering for a special occasion??

There is nothing bad with alcohol:
    Alcohol consumption linked to lower MS disability (24/04/15): http://www.ms-uk.org/apr2015

Comment

To be more specific, alcohol is neuroprotective:
      Alcohol consumption linked to lower MS disability (24/4/15)

Multiple sclerosis patients who consumed larger amounts of alcohol had lower rates of disability per the Expanded Disability Status Score (EDSS) and Multiple Sclerosis Severity Score (MSSS), a new study indicates.

Consumption of beer also affected EDSS scores positively; however consumption of wine had no association with EDSS score, according to Camilio Diaz-Cruz, MD, of Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, who reported the findings at the American Academy of Neurology 2015 Annual Meeting.
      Camilio and colleagues measured alcohol/wine consumption in servings per week for 908 patients enrolled in the Comprehensive Longitudinal Investigation of Multiple Sclerosis (CLIMB) study. Drinking habits were also assessed, and influence of alcohol or wine consumption on clinical outcomes was assessed using regression models for relapse rate in the past year, and concurrent EDSS and MSSS outcomes. Associations with and changes in Symbol Digit Modality Tests (SDMT) were also assessed in a subset of patients.
      There were 56 nondrinkers in the cohort; 98 of who preferred spirits, 249 preferred beer, 283 preferred red wine, and 222 favoured white wine. Median alcohol intake was 1.1 servings per week.
      Those who had higher alcohol intake were significantly associated with lower EDSS and MSSS. Both red and white wine had a non-significant negative association with both EDSS and MSSS, and there was no significant association between alcohol or wine consumption and relapse rate in the past year, change in EDSS or MSSS over one year, current SDMT score, and change in SDMT score in the last year. Notably, beer drinkers tended to have lower EDSS, however the relationship was weaker compared to that of “hard liquor”.
      Although further data analyses are required to better understand the potential cause-effect relationship and underlying mechanism, the findings are complimentary to several previous but unconfirmed studies that suggest alcohol may be neuroprotective in the risk of developing multiple sclerosis.
      Source: Neurology Advisor Copyright © 2015 Haymarket Media, Inc (24/4/15)

Comment

Very Interesting!

Very Interesting!

Comment

Very Interesting!

Thank you!

Comment

I have had a few drinks a month when on Copaxone and same when I'm on Tysabri. I only have one on each occasion..I don't want my balance affected.
            Linda

Comment

Personally, I get used to drink one glass of whiskey before my dinner. For a while it makes me physically a little bit stronger. Also my neuro agreed with my habit.

Comment

Personally, I used to drink one glass of whiskey before dinner, I feel physically a little bit stronger for a while. One drink a day recommends me also my neuro.
                Peter

Comment

Working...
                X