Does anyone take Generic Copaxone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone take Generic Copaxone?

I'd rather not take the Generic as I don't believe that is truly identical. Please advise. Thanks!

No. My pharmacy and my previous pharmacy both allergenic I want to. But my insurance pays for brand name Copaxone. I don't see any good reason to switch.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thank you

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
      No. My pharmacy and my previous pharmacy both allergenic I want to. But my insurance pays for brand name Copaxone. I don't see any good reason to switch.
      Thank you, I appreciate your response.

Comment

question

Is there a reason that you are looking at the generic to begin with?
        God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

I didn't know there was an option

I was automatically switched to the generic 40 mg version of Copaxone and I'm not sure if I'm liking it. Could I have my neuro request to switch me back to the original? I guess I'll ask since I'm seeing her later this month.

Comment

Originally posted by blueyes95 View Post
            I was automatically switched to the generic 40 mg version of Copaxone and I'm not sure if I'm liking it. Could I have my neuro request to switch me back to the original? I guess I'll ask since I'm seeing her later this month.
            My pharmacy switched me to generic, too, when I called to refill my rx in December. After we went through the whole switch, and I finally asked why I was being switched (ie: was it an insurance issue, etc), they told me I didn't have to switch -- that it was up to me. I don't feel like it was explained well at the beginning of the call. I didn't realize it was a choice.

So, I had them switch me back, right there on the same phone call. It might just be that whoever you talked to on the phone didn't explain it well, blueyes. Perhaps it is your choice, like it was for me.
            ~ Faith
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

No one even told me I was going to be getting switched to the generic, it just happened. I thought that was my insurance dictating what I would be taking, but when I call to get my next refill I will be letting them know that I want to be put back on the original Copaxone. Thank You Mamabug for the info.

Comment

My Pharmacy Asks

me if I want the generic. They have been for a few months. I decline. Holding my breath that insurance won't make the decision for me.

Comment

My pharmacy asked when I filled my copaxone last week. I said no because my doctor doesn't want me to. Are the generics just hitting the market? I've been wondering when someone was going to put pressure on me to switch.

Comment

Email this morning from MSAA

Email this morning from MSAA indicating that the FDA approved generic Copaxone 40mg on February 13th....

Comment

2019 my insurance directed me to the generic

Well, it was bound to happen. My insurance threw down the gauntlet and forced my hand at taking the generic. My neuro called in Mylan Glatiramer Acetate. Getting off the ground with this stuff was a nightmare, not nearly as smooth as Copaxone. I had to hand hold the whole process the whole way. I had to ensure the specialty pharmacy had a pre-authorization for both the injections and the injection device. That was early January. I got the medication first.

I finally got the injection device, but not before my nurse neighbor taught me how to manually inject. So, now I manually inject, because the injection device is actually more complicated than it's worth. I have to make an appointment for injection training, but had bronchitis for a month, so I told her to postpone. A couple things: I am shocked to say this, but I have had NO LUMPS, NO ITCHING from this generic. I had a site reaction each Copaxone injection, but NOTHING with this one. I was shocked. I still get the chills after I inject, but that happened with Copaxone anyhow. I am a month in, and praying I do not develop an allergy to this medication. Right now,

I am battling with the specialty pharmacy as they are trying to collect $3k from me, even thought I have spoken to them 3x about the copay assistance that was verified already. The level of service is not as good as Copaxone, and the process seems fractured and disorganized, but I am pleased with the lack of itching and lumps.
                      Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

New Insurance United Healthcare denying brand Copaxone

New insurance in Sept. 2018. They wanted me to switch to generic. I didn't want to and my doctor did not want me to. Somehow he was able to convince them for me to stay on it. I got a letter from them stating I was approved until 2023.
                        On 21st of March I receive a phone call from pharmacy saying insurance plan no longer covers copaxone. They say my dr can appeal again which he did. It is now the 26th of March still no resolution....
                        I have been on Copaxone with no major relapses since Nov. 2008....I know no other ms drug.
                        I am mad, sad, and scared with the thought of taking generic..
                        Someone please tell me they also had to switch. Please tell me you remain stable on the generic. I am most certain big insurance company is going to win this time.
                        So not right that my health and livelihood can be dictated by insurance an company...

Comment

Effectiveness of Generic vs Copaxone

Originally posted by LisaL77 View Post
                          Well, it was bound to happen. My insurance threw down the gauntlet and forced my hand at taking the generic.
                          6 months later, how is it working for you? I am in the same boat starting in Jan. I don't have a problem with it as long as it works as well. I have excellent results for almost 20 years and don't want to find out the hard way!

I have other generics work great and some really bad.

Anyone else have a story to share about effectiveness?
                          wendy

Comment

Originally posted by smiles View Post
                            Anyone else have a story to share about effectiveness?
                            Thanks for resurrecting the thread. Knowing how effective the generic copaxone is is probably relevant for a few of us who might be in that boat someday.
                            ~ Faith
                            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

My HMO, Kaiser, switched me to the generic after my labs on Tecfidera indicated my white blood cell counts were dropping off. I had been on Copaxone for 6 or 7 years before trying Tecfidera for a little over a year. Since starting on the generic I have not had any issues. I think the formulation must be identical or nearly identical as I have not noticed any difference and no new lesions!

Comment

Working...
                              X