Walk in shower ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walk in shower ideas

Thinking about a walk in shower.I can’t walk,use a walker or a wheelchair to get around.I was asking for any advice.thankyou Dave

We had our master bathroom remodeled last year, which included removing a 30 year old "garden tub" that 5 people could have taken a bath together in, and replaced it with a walk-in shower with a tile bench seat and a hand-held shower head. This walk-in shower is the BEST money we have ever spent aside from our Temurpedic mattress!

I use walker during the day, and wasn't able to stand long enough to shower and wash my hair and then climb out of that big tub anymore. Now, I am able to carefully step into the shower and sit on the bench and spend as much time as I want showering, shampooing and shaving...all while seated.

We replaced the toilet at the same time with one of the taller models that is easier for me to stand up from. Get a quote and see what you can work out........I don't think you'll regret the change from a tub to a walk-in shower............but be sure to get the bench seat too.

Comment

Thank you,sounds like you have a nice size bathroom I will get some quotes.where would you go Home Depot or specialty to get bids?

Comment

We had a local contractor who specializes in kitchen and bathroom renovations recommended to us. We got a couple of quotes and went with the one we liked best.

Comment

Thank you,for being great help

Comment

We did a complete remodel of our second smaller bathroom due to location and ease of access. The original shower was demo'd and a roll-in shower built in it's place - no lip since I use a rolling shower/bathroom chair with the help of my spouse. The toilet was replaced as well.

We found a local contractor that had done these types of remodels. We went with the best design and cost quote. Sure has made life easier!

Comment

I just had a tile shower made without a door and the entrance floor is flat in case I need a wheelchair. We contracted a tiling company. I have grab bars around the wall.
              I really like it.

Whatever you decide, I hope it works and you enjoy it.
              God Bless Us All

Comment

Grab bars all the way around,very good suggestion

Comment

I put in a tiled bathroom, no lip, no door to the shower. The shower is as long as a tub with an adjustable hand held wand/shower head next to a teak bench at the far end. There are built in alcoves to hold soap and shampoo that don´t protrude into the space. The floor was slightly sloped to accommodate the no-lip entry.

The drain is a long rectangle set into the long far edge of the shower. There is a high partial wall to contain the water by the bench. Were I to do it again, I would have had them continue the slope beyond the shower entry as the water can go farther than I´d like. I would have also had them tile more of the wall that the regular shower head attaches to in order to avoid getting drywall wet.

I went on-line and got higher grade grab bars as the ones at Home Depot and Lowes scratch at the slightest touch and look too institutional. I found my fixtures at a plumbing supply place that is wholesale and retail with a showroom and a VERY patient sales person. I also replaced the toilet and had it be wall hung- very happy with that. It is the height I want and it is easy to clean. Ikea sells a small sink that is open underneath and has an accessible faucet lever. I put electric heat in the floor but unfortunately it is not recommended under the shower itself.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Comment

I’ve remodeled the bathroom a couple of times, most recently with a roll in shower. Things I’ve learned:

Put in separate shower head for the person who will stand to shower. Then you can put your hand held on a sliding bar that comes down as low as you want it.

Put in a niche for shampoo, etc. down low at the height comfortable for a seated person. Consider a dispenser for shampoo, conditioner, and bath gel.

A vertical grab bar in addition to the horizontal ones. It’s easier to pull up on to transfer. I’ve got a horizontal and vertical grab bar next to the higher toilet also.

Use a movable teak bench instead of building in a tiled one. You may change where you want it to sit.

I was able to find a sink with the drain in the back corner of the sink. All the pipes are out of the way so I can roll under it.

An electrical outlet in the front of the vanity for plugging in my hair dryer.

Comment

Accessible Bathroom Ideas

Hello,

I support all the ideas mentioned in this thread. Our bathroom was remodeled when I realized I needed an electric wheel chair. The roll-in shower has two tiled walls and two heavy-duty tempered glass walls. It has a shower curtain instead of a door. Since I can still transfer, I roll my chair next to the shower and use the grab rails to get into the plastic shower chair. Yes, it is important to have both vertical and horizontal grab rails.

The suggestion about a roll-under bathroom sink in important, too.

One idea that I haven't seen mentioned is a bathroom mirror that is tilted down so that it is easy for a person in a wheelchair can see their reflection.

That's about the only new idea I can add to this thread.

If you can afford it and if you take the time to find a contractor that you trust, a bathroom remodel makes life in a wheelchair so much easier. I am thankful for our accessible bathroom every morning as I get ready to enjoy the day.

Best regards,
                      Jim
                      Jim (formerly Jim-T)
                      Diagnosed December 2005

Comment

walk in shower thoughts

Originally posted by Carlyle View Post
                        Thinking about a walk in shower.I can’t walk,use a walker or a wheelchair to get around.I was asking for any advice.thankyou Dave
                        is
                        The other posts are filled with good information.

Having remodeled a bathroom about a decode ago I became aware of an issue that can become very expensive:
                        • Keep the drain clear of hair - failing to do so can lead to water overflowing the shower area and get under the flooring. This will lead to expensive repairs.

Comment

Working...
                        X