Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spinal Cord Stimulation

Hi there!

I was wondering if anyone has had this done? If so was it painful? Was it a Surgeon who have done quite a few? Most important did it work?

Thank you!

Susie

Diagnosed 6-28-14
    RRMS
    Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Susie,
    I am sorry you are having chronic and uncontrolled pain. I hope other areas of your life are going well.

I was wondering if anyone has had this done? Yes.

If so was it painful? Not too bad. If you're considering a SCS, you're already in enough pain that the surgery pain will probably be minimal.

Was it a Surgeon who have done quite a few? A pain management doctor put mine in with perc leads. A neurosurgeon did the revision for paddle leads (more extensive surgery).

Most important did it work? Yes, for sure. They do a trial first so you know what to expect. I believe the figure they use is 80% of recipients get up to 80% pain relief. My pain relief is probably closer to 95%.

I wish you well...

Comment

[FONT=Arial Black][/Thanks Marco. I went on you tube and scared the living heck out of me. do you still take medication if your pain increases. I met with an Orthopedic Surgeon 3 weeks ago and will not touch. Where I had an old huge healed pressure wound which is complicating this whole mess up with my back and leg he was so bone honest telling me if he had to do a fusion he was afraid of paralysis in both legs. They are now sending me to a Neuro Surgeon and we are going to discuss this option. I'm very nervous about the whole thing. O'm on medication pretty powerful stuff and that's not worrking too well. When a I have a good day I use every minute, every breath to utilize that time. I sometimes peek in here but sitting is also difficult. Well, my dear Marco so nice you replied. I appreciate all the feedback I can get. I hope all my old friends on here that we'd feed off of one another are doing the best they can. Take good care of yourself. Susie FONT]

Diagnosed 6-28-14
      RRMS

Comment

I am sorry to read about your pain and pre-existing injury. Chronic pain can just suck the life out of you.

I have been on all the pain medications up to and including morphine without any real success. If I took enough medication I wouldn't care that I was in so much pain, but I didn't care about anything else.

The majority of SCS patients have one surgery, but I had multiple revisions before they got it right. Prior to my last surgery, they had placed the stimulator in both crooked and canted. Now that it's properly placed my pain is controlled without any pain medications needed.

Before permanent implant there is a trial so you can get an approximate idea of your expected results. Many patients need multiple programming changes before getting the settings dialed in, but a good trial is a good starting point.

Have they tried injections, nerve block and other options?

If you do Facebook, there is a helpful group called "The Spinal cord stimulator support group" that you can join. There are thousands of members all talking spinal cord stimulators.

I just hope the neurosurgeon can get you fixed up. As always, I wish you well...

Comment

Hi Marco,

Yes, they've tried nerve block injections 6 times and the first one helped me for a day. Very, very frustrating. I do walk to get some exercise which is good. I will write when I see the neurosurgeon, which will be 2-14-18. The other the thing the orthopedic surgeon mentioned to me that where the wound is he is afraid of where the paddle is located may burn that are since there is barely any skin. I guess I'll have to put my positive thinking into gear and whatever is supposed to be will.

Take good care my friend.

Diagnosed 6-28-14
          RRMS

Comment

Working...
          X