Thoracic outlet syndrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoracic outlet syndrome

Has anyone heard of thoracic outlet syndrome? I am having shoulder pain when reaching up or out to the side. I was thinking rotator cuff and then I saw thoracic outlet syndrome in a search. I'm having trouble finding the symptom differences. Does anyone have any ideas?

I've read up on that and it seems to fit for me. But then, a lot of things "fit". Just about every part of my body hurts or burns or feels like it's being pinched so it's a hard one to decide. I just wish the doctors would actually listen and use a little imagination when they are shaking their heads "no".
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

I also looked up this term as I was unfamiliar with it. It sounds like you should talk to your Dr about getting some physical therapy. PT is the first line of treatment along with anti- inflammatory meds (and maybe some muscle relaxers), according to the Mayo Clinic. Some times a nerve conduction test or MRI or xray is needed to determine the cause.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...t/drc-20353994

I hope you seek help and relief! Let us know what you find out.
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thoracic outlet syndrome. Neurologists don’t believe it exists because it does not show up on the EMG.

In short, the bracheous plexus, the narrow passageway where all the nerves from the the cervical spine and major arteries pass through becomes too narrow putting pressure on the nerves and arteries. It goes under our 1st rib. True thoracic outlet syndrome occurs when there is an extra rib above the 1st rib called the cervical rib.

After a neck injury where 3 disks became herniated in my neck, I started losing the use of my right hand. The pain was excruciating. After arguing with neurologists until I was blue in the face, a neurosurgeon referred me to a thoracic surgeon. I had the first rib removed along with the cervical rib.

But this isn’t a thing to self diagnose. If you are having pain up through your neck it could also be carpel tunnel. The nerves get trapped and the pain travels all the way up and down from the cervical spine to the tips of your fingers.

Comment

Working...
        X