DMTs immune suppression and infections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DMTs immune suppression and infections

I have been on Tysabri for 8 years. It has prevented new lesions from forming and has slowed my ms progression. When I was first diagnosed I wanted to stop MS no matter what the consequences.

Now, I am wondering. The last 3 years I have had one infection after the other. UTIs, seriously infected wounds, MRSA and sepsis.

I am skipping my infusion this month because I will be on antibiotics most of the month.

I don’t know what my question is. Does anyone have any insight into this? It seems the more effective a treatment is in slowing MS progression, the more it lowers your immune system.

I’m terrified of any more MS progression. I’m terrified of the Tysabri rebound effect. And my life is in danger with these infections.

No easy or sure answers. Something I consider with regard to my risk:benefit threshold is my age and my lifespan expectation. When I was diagnosed at 40 I also would have done anything to preserve a few years of mobility. As I age I believe I may need to adjust my expectations.

Like with routine testing recommendations such as colonoscopy or mammogram there comes a point when it might not be beneficial. My dad, who is in his late 80s with a history of colon cancer, recently said he just had his last colonoscopy. It made me a little sad to hear due to the underlying message but he's practical about those things, that's probably where I get it from.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

Sorry to hear palmtree. I get respiratory infections, usually 2x a year that require steroids, antibiotics and inhalers usually to go away. Currently, sinus infection that my latest MRIs confirmed.

I have questioned whether staying on Tysabri is worth being sick 4 months of each year, but still at the point I feel it is. But I haven't had the life threatening experience you have.

Have you discussed with your neuro? Do they do routine bloodwork that looks at your white blood cell count, among other metrics? Do you by any chance have complicating illness like diabetes that makes wound healing more difficult? Are you able to eat a balanced diet? Are you able to exercise? I guess I am just asking if there are any extraneous factors that may need management and could contribute to helping you fight infections? I know some of this is hard to deal when ill.

I would definitely discuss with your neuro and possibly your primary. Hope you are feeling better.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post

Now, I am wondering. The last 3 years I have had one infection after the other. UTIs, seriously infected wounds, MRSA and sepsis.

I don’t know what my question is. Does anyone have any insight into this? It seems the more effective a treatment is in slowing MS progression, the more it lowers your immune system.
        I am sorry that you are in this position. It's a tough place when the only thing certain is uncertainty.

You are correct about Tysabri and infections.The prescribing information for Tysabri includes this warning, "The immune system effects of tysabri may increase the risk for infections." The information goes on to list a number of increased infections to include utis.

I would have a heart to heart with my neurologist and probably get an opinion from another. In a similar situation, my neurologist sent me to one of her trusted comrades for another voice.

I wish you well...

Comment

ditto what Marco said.
          Also, I wasn’t on DMT and was constantly sick with infections. My immunologist became suspicious and ran blood tests. Voila. I have Common Variable Immune Deficiency. Actually it’s not common at all. I do not make sufficient immunoglobulins which are key in fighting infection.

So, while Tysabri May be the culprit, rule out other causes too.

Comment

Working...
          X