Researchers find potential path to repair nerves damaged by MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Researchers find potential path to repair nerves damaged by MS

A UCLA study found that gene expression in specific cells and in specific regions of the body can provide a more precise, neuroprotective approach than traditional treatments for neurological diseases. Gene expression is the process by which genetic instructions are used to synthesize gene products, such as proteins, which go on to perform essential functions.

For multiple sclerosis, specifically, increasing cholesterol synthesis gene expression in astrocytes of the spinal cord can be a pathway to repair nerves that affect walking.

The findings could point the way toward treatments for neurodegenerative diseases that are tailored to repair damage for each disability, one at a time, in contrast to the standard one-size-fits-all approach.

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/re...iple-sclerosis

Thanks Marco ! Looks promising. I guess one should never lose hope. Wouldn’t It would be great if we could put this thing in reverse? And finally plan for the future instead of worrying about it. ?

Richard.
    It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Thanks Marco. I certainly hope something works in my lifetime.
      God Bless Us All

Comment

Thanks Marco!
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hmmmmm...

I can wrap my head around the concept of repairing nerves, sort of, but what about the source? The lesions/scars in our brains and spinal cords? This is what always bums me out when I look at some of the ugly scars from childhood on my "outer" self. I think, "well they ain't going anywhere!". I wonder if this what the scars on my brain/SP look like, and think, "well they ain't going anywhere, either!" That scar question never seems to be addressed...
          Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by Tawanda View Post
            I can wrap my head around the concept of repairing nerves, sort of, but what about the source? The lesions/scars in our brains and spinal cords? This is what always bums me out when I look at some of the ugly scars from childhood on my "outer" self. I think, "well they ain't going anywhere!". I wonder if this what the scars on my brain/SP look like, and think, "well they ain't going anywhere, either!" That scar question never seems to be addressed...
            I know Tawanda I think the same things. And what caused it in the first place ?
            But.... it’s so nice to see them working on stuff and trying to figure it out. Sometimes I dread they have give up ? The wheeles seem to turn so slow, especially when your waiting and running out of time. I check this part of the foram sometimes three or four times a day. If all the brilliant minds working on a cure for this disease could put their heads together, trade ideas, theory’s , compare notes, then who knows ? It just might happen!! I love to hear about everything. It gives me hope. Hope keeps me going.
            It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Working...
            X