Is this a normal reaction to Neurontin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a normal reaction to Neurontin?

This should probably be in Medications, but I always get a better response here.

If I take a 100 mg Neurontin at 9 pm, I am still "drugged", dizzy and woozy by at least 9 pm the next night! So I have been avoiding this good med and living with the burning, tingling pain of MS.

Does anyone have any experience with this one? Any ideas?
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Marti,

I took Neurontin several years ago. I think that I ended up maxing out at over 2400 mg/day? Yeah it made me 'woozy' in the beginning. But the longer that I took it the less that side effect was apparent.

The side effect that I liked was that I could sleep well after taking them .

Unfortunately, even at the higher doses it didn't do much for me, so I eventually decided to just stop taking it.
    My dh started taking it recently for peripheral neuropathy and even at 300 mg twice daily he is amazed that I worked while taking it .

If you can bear with it for a while that "drugged", dizzy and woozy will go away - until you up the dosage.

Hope this helps a little.
    Take care .

Comment

Marti,

I sometimes take as much as 1500mg of neurontin, but it rarely seems to have any side effects (or do much good!). But I also weigh twice as much as you! Can you get it in a 10mg or 20mg pill?

I should also note that if I don't take it at all I get really intense restless leg after a couple of weeks...
      1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
      NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkLavelle View Post
        Marti,

I sometimes take as much as 1500mg of neurontin, but it rarely seems to have any side effects (or do much good!). But I also weigh twice as much as you! Can you get it in a 10mg or 20mg pill?

I should also note that if I don't take it at all I get really intense restless leg after a couple of weeks...
        I'll have to ask about the smaller dose. The last time I did ask, I was told the smallest dose was 100mg. Thanks.
        Marti

Comment

Marti,
          I had to quit for the same reason you did. What I found that worked in its place was (((believe it or not))) baclofen. I know it sounds odd and may be I was a fluke but like I said it will work for me. No guarantees that it will work for you but it is worth trying. Good luck
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Marti, Neurontin only reduced neuropathy by 10% for me. I was fine re side effects.

What really helps is MMJ. It reduces my MS neuropathy by 80% with zero side effects. Zero. It’s legal in my state. Maybe yours too?

Comment

Originally posted by hunterd View Post
              Marti,
              I had to quit for the same reason you did. What I found that worked in its place was (((believe it or not))) baclofen. I know it sounds odd and may be I was a fluke but like I said it will work for me. No guarantees that it will work for you but it is worth trying. Good luck
              Yep.. I've been substituting with Baclofen (half a pill). It does help, but the Neurontin works better when I have this prickling in my mouth. Every time I take one I regret it a little. But it does give me a whole day of dreamy-like woozyness. Sometimes that's ok.
              Marti

Comment

Neurontine and balance/drop foot

Hi! I'm so glad I found this forum. In Norway, my questions about side-effects of neurontine is ignored. I'm on 2100 mg + 30 mg. Sarotex. I strongly suspect that problems with balance/coordination and now drop-foot is worsened or maybe even caused by side effects from the medicine. I saw someone write "wobbeling feet" that's excactly how I feel. My feet seems "soft". Anyone else with similar experience?

Comment

Marti

Have you tried lyrica? My wife takes 3 25mg during the day and a 50mg going to bed. Very good results. She couldn’t take neurontin either.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                  X