Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lightheaded feeling and head feeling swollen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightheaded feeling and head feeling swollen?

Hello everyone! I was diagnosed 6 years ago and just wanted to get everyone's opinion on lightheadedness and feeling like your brain is swollen. It always happens when I exercise, get excited, and right after I eat. The activities point to higher body temperature being the cause, so I spoke with my neurologist about these symptoms and he said that these symptoms (in how they occur) didn't seem like common MS symptoms, so he did an EEG on me to double check. The EEG came back as normal, so I was wondering if anyone experiences symptoms in this manner?

Thank you!

Originally posted by spritebottle View Post
    Hello everyone! I was diagnosed 6 years ago and just wanted to get everyone's opinion on lightheadedness and feeling like your brain is swollen. It always happens when I exercise, get excited, and right after I eat. The activities point to higher body temperature being the cause, so I spoke with my neurologist about these symptoms and he said that these symptoms (in how they occur) didn't seem like common MS symptoms, so he did an EEG on me to double check. The EEG came back as normal, so I was wondering if anyone experiences symptoms in this manner?

Thank you!
    Hi spritebottle

Feeling off balance and lightheaded are common symptoms of MS.

Not sure why your neuro said that they are not common.

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sy...ss-and-Vertigo

Also, even a very slight rise in core body temperature (one-quarter to one-half of a degree) can bring on symptoms in some people with MS related heat sensitivity (including me!).

Eating (especially warm foods), exercise, and anxiety can cause my symptoms to increase, including the lightheaded feeling.

From the National MS Society:

Many people with MS experience a temporary worsening of their symptoms when the weather is very hot or humid, or when they run a fever. These temporary changes can result from even a slight elevation in core body temperature (one-quarter to one-half of a degree). An elevated temperature further impairs the ability of a demyelinated nerve to conduct electrical impulses.

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Li...re-Sensitivity

If your neuro can't find any other explanation, your symptoms could very well be MS related, in my non-professional opinion.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
      Hi spritebottle

Feeling off balance and lightheaded are common symptoms of MS.

Not sure why your neuro said that they are not common.

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sy...ss-and-Vertigo

Also, even a very slight rise in core body temperature (one-quarter to one-half of a degree) can bring on symptoms in some people with MS related heat sensitivity (including me!).

Eating (especially warm foods), exercise, and anxiety can cause my symptoms to increase, including the lightheaded feeling.

From the National MS Society:

Many people with MS experience a temporary worsening of their symptoms when the weather is very hot or humid, or when they run a fever. These temporary changes can result from even a slight elevation in core body temperature (one-quarter to one-half of a degree). An elevated temperature further impairs the ability of a demyelinated nerve to conduct electrical impulses.

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Li...re-Sensitivity

If your neuro can't find any other explanation, your symptoms could very well be MS related, in my non-professional opinion.

Take Care
      Hi Koko,

Thank you very much for the info! I guess I never thought of the difference of internal core temperature vs. external temp and how the internal temp can affect you that easily!

To my neurologist's credit, I might have describe the symptoms a little differently than here.

Anyhow, I'm going to look around for OTC motion sickness pills and see if that helps with the lightheadedness. And post here how that works out

Comment

Hi Koko,

Thank you very much for the info! I guess I never thought of the difference of internal core temperature vs. external temp and how the internal temp can affect you that easily!

To my neurologist's credit, I might have describe the symptoms a little differently than here.

Anyhow, I'm going to look around for OTC motion sickness pills and see if that helps with the lightheadedness. And post here how that works out
        spritebottle

Let us know how the motion sickness pills work. I've never had to use them, as the lightheaded/dizzy feelings are only temporary for me (thank goodness!).

Also, try drinking very cold water after eating, and before and after exercise too.

Take Care
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
          spritebottle

Let us know how the motion sickness pills work. I've never had to use them, as the lightheaded/dizzy feelings are only temporary for me (thank goodness!).

Also, try drinking very cold water after eating, and before and after exercise too.

Take Care
          So last night was my boxing night and the activity can get pretty intense. I took some Dramamine 45 minutes before I started and I'd have to say, it worked well! There definitely was a difference in the dizziness and nausea from when I didn't take the pill. I'd say there was about a 60%-70% improvement but it was one of those "natural" ones where it only has ginger as it's main active ingredient, so I'm going to try the ones with the actual drug instead of just ginger.

Thanks for the tips!

Comment

So last night was my boxing night and the activity can get pretty intense. I took some Dramamine 45 minutes before I started and I'd have to say, it worked well! There definitely was a difference in the dizziness and nausea from when I didn't take the pill. I'd say there was about a 60%-70% improvement but it was one of those "natural" ones where it only has ginger as it's main active ingredient, so I'm going to try the ones with the actual drug instead of just ginger.

Thanks for the tips!
            spritebottle

Wow, boxing! Very intense exercise - you have my admiration.

Good luck finding what works best for your dizziness and nausea.

Also, it's good that your doctor knows about your boxing/exercise, and is aware of your symptoms.

Hopefully they are just temporary heat sensitivity issues.

Don't forget cold water for hydration too.

Take Care

Comment

Light-headedness and off balance

I too experience these feelings. I feel like they are associated with extreme stress/fatigue. My neurologist was also not quite on board with it be related to MS. I am not sure why this is not considered a common problem as when I look up symptoms on medical websites, lightheadedness and dizziness fall under the common symptoms. Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by christina5330 View Post
                I too experience these feelings. I feel like they are associated with extreme stress/fatigue. My neurologist was also not quite on board with it be related to MS. I am not sure why this is not considered a common problem as when I look up symptoms on medical websites, lightheadedness and dizziness fall under the common symptoms. Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience.
                Hi Christina5330 and welcome

Thank you for sharing your experience.

I suppose that since lightheadedness and dizziness could be symptoms of a wide range of other disorders, the neuro probably wants to be sure that it is indeed the MS that is the cause.

Are you in limbo, or have you been given a diagnosis of MS already?

In any case, hopefully you get some relief from your symptoms.

Take Care

Comment

Working...
                X