RRMS diagnosis question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RRMS diagnosis question

Well again back to my diagnosis, I had my first flare and it was a bit harsh with multi-symptoms presenting themselves with in flammation which repeated steroids IV (X2) finally ended the relapse (8 weeks roughly) this was caused by 1 lesion on my pons, and I'm recovering OK since November 2nd, my walking is returning to normal and balance+fatigue is much improved lately but other sensory sx still remain unchanged.

my question is can RRMS be a definitive dx with the 1 lesion only with inflammation and some remitting happening? Does anyone get another severe relapse after initial dx and does recovery take many months?

There is a thread on the new McDonald criteria used for MS diagnosis. You may want to review with your neuro how this was met by your MRIs, test, history.

I thought that either two lesions or two flares needed to satisfy dissemination in space/time criteria, but I could be wrong.

Noone can answer what/if your next relapse will be. I do know of people who have multiple severe relapses. Also met a male who had one severe relapse initially which involved paralysis in 1995, and only minor since.

My advice is to not worry/stress over what may be, but focus on living. You have come a long way, something to celebrate. Much easier said than done, but important to do. As many have said, with MS, prepare for worst, but expect the best. It's a tough line to walk, especially following relapse. But trying to predict our future is pointless. You are doing the right things in diet, exercise, and controlling what you can. The toughest battle can be the mind.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
      There is a thread on the new McDonald criteria used for MS diagnosis. You may want to review with your neuro how this was met by your MRIs, test, history.

I thought that either two lesions or two flares needed to satisfy dissemination in space/time criteria, but I could be wrong.

Noone can answer what/if your next relapse will be. I do know of people who have multiple severe relapses. Also met a male who had one severe relapse initially which involved paralysis in 1995, and only minor since.

My advice is to not worry/stress over what may be, but focus on living. You have come a long way, something to celebrate. Much easier said than done, but important to do. As many have said, with MS, prepare for worst, but expect the best. It's a tough line to walk, especially following relapse. But trying to predict our future is pointless. You are doing the right things in diet, exercise, and controlling what you can. The toughest battle can be the mind.
      I totally agreed with what she says! And remember - there are no two people living with MS with the exact same symptoms and course of the disease. I'm very happy that you are over the worst and taking necessary steps to gaining back your overall health! Stay strong
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
        I totally agreed with what she says! And remember - there are no two people living with MS with the exact same symptoms and course of the disease. I'm very happy that you are over the worst and taking necessary steps to gaining back your overall health! Stay strong
        seems like questions/concerns to bring up to my neurologist in feb, tho he really doesn't have solid answers for me either I'm afraid.

this disease is so strange, I'm out of my relapse now and starting to enjoy my life finally cause the last 3-4 months were quite upsetting. I'm driving again? Walking normal, fatigue is almost completely vanished but there's lingering symptoms still. I'm almost myself again but with obvious changes. Sure I'm over this relapse and on my way to a decent recovery also on tecfidera now and look forward to a good MRI in aug 02 and stay relapse free for as long as I can. I'm working although in a different manner which is ok I just want to continue to improve and stay relapse free for years, it's been four months and I'm not getting this disease acting up at all which is something 😊 I know tecfidera takes longer to start working than 2 months but I'm hopeful as a lot off ppl find success with tecfidera. Only the future will show what happens but all I can do is enjoy what I have right now and keep being positive and hope my recovery just gets better and better and this disease I can manage it successfully 👍

Thanks for your guys's support it helps reading responses from veterans of this disease

Comment

Working...
        X