Weightloss Checkin Group: Weighin For 1/4/18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weightloss Checkin Group: Weighin For 1/4/18

Hi Everyone. The Holidays are over and now it is time to buckle down and get serious about getting rid of those excess pounds. We can do it! Set a goal for the month and review your progress each day. Keep in mind your binge triggers and avoid them. Pat yourself on the back when you have a good day.

I can’t believe it. I lost 2.5 pounds and now weigh 115.5. I’m not sure how this happened. I can only guess that my 118 pound weight last week had a lot to do with fluid retention. I will try to lose half a pound this coming week.

Agate, sorry to miss you this week. I hope you had a good Holiday season.

Mamabug, that is excellent. It is a tiny loss but considering it is the midst of the Holidays it is awesome. Keep up the good work in the new year.

Hsmaldo, sorry to miss you this week and hope you are doing well.

Msgijo, so sorry about your gain but your track record predicts you will get a grip and go the other way. You will get back on track.

Poohb3ar, sorry to miss you and hope all is well. Happy Holidays.

kbragg60, sorry we did not hear from you this week. I hope you managed to put on a couple of pounds.

abidingjones, it is so good to hear from you. So sorry about your gain but it is a new year and you can get back on track. We are in your corner.

For those who may have an interest in joining our dedicated group, our members each have their own personal methods of weight loss. Some are on Weight Watchers, some on Atkins for example and some just cut calories. I personally lost quite a lot of weight in the beginning using Atkins and then just cut portions while eating everything. The method is not the most important thing, it is staying focused and following the plan.

We post weight loss, gain, stayed the same, from Thursday to Thursday and have been doing so for over 15 years. We are truly dedicated to get rid of those pesky pounds and keep them off. You don’t have to state your actual weight. It’s a matter of choice.

Tip For The Week:

According to Advocate Health Care:

According to nutrition experts, some foods make you more hungry, and chips happen to be one of them. We asked Amy Strutzel, a diabetes dietitian educator at Advocate Condell Medical Center in Libertyville, Ill., to give us a list of the top seven offenders that leave people feeling hungrier. Most won’t be shocked that chips make her list, but some others may surprise you, like fruit juice and yogurt. The full list includes:

Fruit Juice

This drink is a concentrated source of sugar. Even though it may contain a variety of vitamins and minerals, much of the fiber is stripped in the processing. There is no fat or protein to help slow the absorption of the sugar into the blood. Because of this, juice can cause a quick rise in blood sugar and a fast drop. This decline in blood sugar leaves us feeling hungry again–fast.

Yogurt

Depending on the type and brand, yogurt can be high in sugar. In addition, because of its consistency, yogurt does not require chewing. “The act of chewing helps to increase our fullness factor. Adding something such as nuts can increase chewing,” Strutzel says. “And including nuts can also add some healthy, unsaturated fats, which may help us feel fuller longer.”

For yogurt lovers, Greek yogurt is a good choice, as it has two to three times the amount of protein as regular yogurt, which can also help us feel satisfied longer. Buying plain versions of Greek yogurt and adding your own fresh fruit can help eliminate the amount of added sugars. Fresh fruit also provides some fiber.

Alcohol

Alcohol can make a person hungrier. “It can lower a person’s levels of leptin, which is responsible for helping keep us full,” Strutzel says. “Alcohol also can lower our glycogen stores, so we often crave carbs to replace what is lost. Alcohol lowers our inhibitions, as well, which can cause people to choose fattier, less healthy foods.”

White pasta

White pasta comes from enriched flour, which is void of many vitamins, minerals and fiber. This lack of fiber can lead to a feeling of decreased satisfaction or fullness. White pasta is a concentrated source of carbohydrates, which can raise blood sugar, followed by a drop not long after. One serving of pasta is equivalent to one-half cup cooked. Most of us eat well beyond that, especially if we order pasta at a restaurant. In fact, most restaurants can serve up to four cups of pasta, which is very heavy in carbohydrates. Add any red sauces on top of that, and you have even more sugar.

Chips/pretzels

Because of the amount of sodium found in chips and pretzels, these snacks can lead to dehydration. Often, people may think they’re hungry when, in fact, they’re really thirsty. In addition, these type of snacks contain mostly empty calories. “Not only are they low in vitamins and minerals, but they usually contain very little protein and fiber, which help to keep us satisfied when we eat,” Strutzel says.

MSG

Monosodium glutamate, also known as MSG, is a flavor enhancer found in things like Chinese food, processed meats, soups, etc. Some research has shown that MSG can cause an increase in appetite. When ordering Chinese food, request a meal made without MSG. Also, be mindful when shopping and look at ingredients to help cut down on this additive.

High-sugar foods, such as donuts, muffins, pies

Weight Loss Results:

Total Loss:

.2 pound by one member. This is a very positive loss considering this time of year. Good luck to all this coming week now that the Holidays are over.

Total Gain:

8.5 pounds by three members. This gives us a lot to work on. Now that the Holidays are over there is no longer an excuse for not losing those unwanted pounds.

Stayed The Same:

0 members. As we know, staying the same truly is success, including for those who are maintaining. Just keep remembering it is the time before the next loss if you have more to lose. Also staying the same is a signal that you are eating the right amount to maintain your losses.

4050.81 is the total weight loss for the past 15+ years. We hit a new milestone. We now have lost over two tons for which we should be proud. That truly is phenomenal.

Lost 0.9 pounds .

12/28 119.9
    1/5 119.0

That puts me back in range (at the very top, but still there).

I had an early dr. appt. yesterday morning and so did not weigh then. He was not too happy with the fact that my A1C had gone up, but accepted the excuse of thanksgiving christmas and new years - as long as I agreed to bring it back down within the next 3 months. So that means that my weight should go down as well .

I will attempt to lose another half a pound this week.

Karen - Great job . Even if part of it was water weight that is still a great loss. Keep up whatever you are doing!

Hoping that everyone is staying warm. Unfortunately for me cold weather means carb heavy soups and stews . I did hear somewhere that shivering is a way the body warms up, and that it burns calories to do so . I am not willing to stay cold (if I can help it) to find out .

Hope everyone has a safe week and stays warm.

Comment

Working...
    X