Weightloss Checkin Group: Weighin For 12/21/17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weightloss Checkin Group: Weighin For 12/21/17

Hi Everyone. I am in an ever bigger rush than I was last week, trying to get out Christmas cards and am running late. Once again, I hope everyone is coping better than I. All I can say is do the best you can.

I was surprised. Unbelievably I lost half a pound this week and thus weigh 116. I was surprised. I had a shock. I put on a pair of pants I had not worn in a couple of months and I could not get them fastened. I have worn them with ease at this weight. I cannot imagine what is going on.

Agate, sorry to miss you this week. Hope to see you next week.

Mamabug, sorry about your gain but at least it is under a pound. Better luck next week.

Hsmaldo, my goodness you have had many temptations. Do your best.

Msgijo, even though you gained you are still within a good range. Stay on the bright path.

Poohb3ar, sorry to miss you and hope all is well. Happy Holidays.

For those who may have an interest in joining our dedicated group, our members each have their own personal methods of weight loss. Some are on Weight Watchers, some on Atkins for example and some just cut calories. I personally lost quite a lot of weight in the beginning using Atkins and then just cut portions while eating everything. The method is not the most important thing, it is staying focused and following the plan.

We post weight loss, gain, stayed the same, from Thursday to Thursday and have been doing so for over 15 years. We are truly dedicated to get rid of those pesky pounds and keep them off. You don’t have to state your actual weight. It’s a matter of choice.

Tip For The Week:

Although kale and flaxseed get all the headlines about being superfoods, basic fruits and vegetables are being touted by health officials as a way to produce healthy weight loss, according to a 2016 study.

It’s all because of a certain element inside these fruits and vegetables called flavonoid. The natural compound gives the produce its blue, purple or deep red color and can be found in foods such as berries, red and purple grapes, strawberries, apples and peppers.

The study, which was published in the journal BMJ, followed more than 124,000 U.S. men and women participating in three studies. Researchers observed the various types of flavonoids they ate after a two-decade follow-up period. Each person reported their weight, habits and any diagnosed diseases every two years from 1986 to 2011.

“We looked at seven different classes of flavonoids, and we found increased consumption was associated with less weight gain,” said study author Monica Bertoia, a research associate at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health in Boston, in a news release.

Dietitians agree that adding fruits and vegetables enriched in flavonoids is important to your health.

“Eating more fruits and vegetables is number three in the top three things you can do to increase your lifespan,” says Dotty Berzy, senior clinical dietician at Advocate Trinity Hospital in Chicago. “Number one is to stop smoking and number two is to wear a seat belt.”

While the study showed men and women gained some weight throughout the years, researchers concluded that consuming higher portions of foods rich in flavonoids contributed to maintaining a healthier adult weight. It also helps with the prevention of obesity and its potential consequences. Researchers suggest that everyone should consume at least two cups of fruit and two and a half cups of vegetables per day.

“When you fill your plate with more fruits and vegetables, it definitely helps you control your weight because it fills you up,” says Berzy. “There are studies that say it also decreases you risk of cancer and high cholesterol as well as gives you the fiber and nutrients you need to survive.”

Weight Loss Results:

Total Loss:

0 Pounds by three members. This is a most unfortunate statistic. I hope we do better next week.

Total Gain:

3.8 pounds by four members. Every person reporting, including myself are in this gain column. This is a difficult time of the year because of Holiday affairs. Let’s hope next week is a better showing.

Stayed The Same:

0 member. As we know, staying the same truly is success, including for those who are maintaining. Just keep remembering it is the time before the next loss if you have more to lose. Also staying the same is a signal that you are eating the right amount to maintain your losses.

4049.51 is the total weight loss for the past 15+ years. We hit a new milestone. We now have lost over two tons for which we should be proud. That truly is phenomenal.

Weight loss

has anyone had problems with weight loss? My Dr. said yesterday if I lose 2 more pounds he will put me in hosp. I have always had problems gaining and keeping it on. But this last cold has been rough. I am 5'5" and weigh 95 lbs.

Any suggestions? I already drink boost and snack in between meals. I do have a good appetite.

Comment

Originally posted by kbragg60 View Post
      has anyone had problems with weight loss? My Dr. said yesterday if I lose 2 more pounds he will put me in hosp. I have always had problems gaining and keeping it on. But this last cold has been rough. I am 5'5" and weigh 95 lbs.

Any suggestions? I already drink boost and snack in between meals. I do have a good appetite.
      Thyroid problems? I had been trying to lose weight for (seems like) forever and then suddenly Sept '16 it started falling off. I was pleased and put it down to stress (dh was in critical condition - ICU for 2 weeks).

But it continued and I started feeling really crappy. Even more crappy than my MS norm. DH tried to say that was stress also but I just knew something was wrong! Numerous visits later the PA at doctor's office ran a thyroid test and discovered that I have an overactive thyroid.

I finished an Iodine Uptake test yesterday which will tell doctor why my thyroid is overactive so that some type of treatment can start when I see him again in 2 weeks. Even as crappy as I feel I am concerned that 'fixing' my thyroids will cause weight gain .

A forum had been started a while back for people wanting to gain weight, but because nobody ever posted it was discontinued.

For me - sodium puts on weight - think salt and soy sauce. Carbs (without much fiber) is also a culprit around here. Ice cream for the 3am snack seems to add weight also. (I am trying to think backwards here - about things that I have learned to avoid)

Best suggestion I have for you is high carbs with little/no fiber, little protein nd just all out bad eating habits.
      Hope this helps some.

Karen I got up not with it this morning and ate before thinking about weighing so I will post my weight tomorrow. Pants are telling me that I have gained .

Comment

I'm still at 220.0, I was looking through old pictures and disappointed that I had been doing so well a year ago and then just "gave up" these past few months. I seem to be on a straight cookie binge which is making me just feel so blah ALL. THE. TIME. And the bummer of it is, they're not even that great tasting, yet I just keep eating them. It's frustrating and I do believe that I'll be tossing them in the trash within the next week just to be done with them!

I actually WANT to eat healthy and I can tell my body is craving good food more than the junk that I've been feeding it.

My youngest has had a low-grade fever for the past 4 days. I sent her to school bc she still seemed to be bouncing around and okay, but on Wed I kept her home and took her to the dr. Right after I made that decision, I looked at her face and BAM--pink eye. So, that kept her home on Wed and Thur. The fever (99.5) finally broke last night, her eye is cleared up and she got the okay to go to her holiday party today! SO happy that she's starting to feel better! But she is my little snugglebug, so I'm just praying that I don't get what she had!!

I've made all the gingerbread, the angel ornaments, the cards for my coworkers, hubby's coworkers, and the girls' teachers. I think I'm done shopping, but still have to wrap presents.

I haven't even BEGUN to think about Christmas dinner--my MIL is going to cook, so I'm not thinking about it all!! I think I may bring a salad though! But I'm just feeling DONE with food right now!

I hope each and everyone of you has a VERY Merry Christmas and if I don't check in next week, a Happy New Year!!

kbragg60--In addition to getting your thyroid checked as the others suggested, I would suggest eating calorie dense foods and snacks and adding a good quality oil to your meals. Avocados, nuts, full-fat dairy (heavy cream in coffee, cheeses, full fat yogurts, etc.) Adding MCT oil, or a good olive oil to salads, in shakes, etc.

Maybe try asking your dr to send you to a nutritionist. If your appetite is good, maybe cut out the boost drinks and try to eat solid foods--it may be filling you up without getting you the necessary calories? Watch out for coffee too--I know that is a appetite suppressant for some people.

Comment

Gained 0.2 lbs

Recent weights:
          12/21/17: 136.0 lbs
          12/14/17: 135.8 lbs
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Lost 0.6 pounds. A relief because like Karen my pants were telling me that I had gained some weight .

12/14 119.0
            12/22 118.4

Still in range(117 +/- 2 pounds) and still wondering if I really want to continue with this goal. It isn't too hard right now - or rather it is do-able - but I finally had the iodine uptake test this past week, and in 2 weeks I will see the doctor to discuss treatment. Thinking that any treatment will change the way my body is metabolizing my food intake/ weight makes me wonder what is going to happen when it is 'fixed'.

Karen - good loss . Maybe you will decide on Christmas day that you have done enough and just relax for one day. I know that I intend to do just that.
            Tip of the week - good one. I eat fruits but not enough. I do attempt to use peppers in many of the meals that I prepare so there is that. I have some blueberries that I picked and froze. They are a great addition to pancakes or even in cereals and since they are in the freezer until I need them I do not have to worry about them going bad before I use them. And even though I am the only one that eats it I like eggplant.

kbragg60 - I hope that you have found something useful in this forum. Please check back and let us know how you are doing

hsmaldo - aka cookie monster - I am having the same problem with fruitcake. I made them this year,and even though they aren't the best I have ever made they are calling me from the freezer where I hid them . And aren't MILs the best when they take on the cooking chores? Mine always fixes good choice meals along with a few of the traditional not so good for you dishes. And all I have to do is show up to eat.
            Yeah I agree you have been going too wide open here for a while so take the rest of the year off and you will feel more like taking on the challenges of food next year . Don't forget about your crock pot. At the end of the day all you have to do is throw a salad together and eat.

Faith - sorry about the small gain, but it is the season. You have been doing so well with staying the same for so long. I know that you aren't where you want to be (weight wise) BUT your ups and downs have been getting smaller and you did have the run of staying the same. So even with a small gain I am going to say Good Job! Keep up what you are doing.

I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas .

Comment

Working...
            X