New to MS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to MS!

Hello everyone. I am new to this site and new to MS. I had my first relapse on Oct. 17th and got RRMS diagnosis last Thurs. My neurologist says I've had this for awhile( don't know how many years) and that I have multiple lesions so I have a "typical MS brain". My active lesion is in my thalamus, I went through the 5 days of Solumedrol IV treatments the first of Nov.(those was a nightmare). My symptoms have improved greatly but my Dr told me I could return to work so on Tues I did. I'm a welder and I have a 30 min ride to and from work. The ride over really threw me off bad, my balance got off then nauseated and shaking but I was able to recover and finish the day. But yesterday I couldn't recover and I'm still feeling "throwed off" is what I call it lol. I'm worried about work. I'm a widow my husband dies 2 yrs ago and I don't want to be a burden to my older children. I just don't know what to do anymore. Do I call the Dr and tell her I'm unable to work once I get there or just see if it's gonna get better idk!!!

Hi Buckaroo70,

I am very sorry you have received a diagnosis of MS. I could imagine right now you are feeling pretty uncertain about your life with MS.

The ride over really threw me off bad, my balance got off then nauseated and shaking but I was able to recover and finish the day. But yesterday I couldn't recover and I'm still feeling "throwed off" is what I call it lol.
    I'm worried about work
    Do I call the Dr and tell her I'm unable to work once I get there or just see if it's gonna get better
    I am wondering if fear and uncertainly is creating anxiety for you. Anxiety can cause what you are experiencing. Anxiety can be treated. A Psychiatrist would be best for prescribing anxiety medication but your Primary Dr. or Neurologist can also prescribe medication. A Psychotherapist would also be a good idea as a way to work through your concerns, fears, etc. about this recent diagnosis.

MS and the uncertainty can cause a whole host of roller coaster emotions.

Take care
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I told neurologist of my anxiety the past 2 visits and she said to talk to my regular Dr and I did that also but she tried putting me on depression medication. I took that after my husband died for awhile but didn't like it. I don't feel depressed either but may end up there soon if something doesn't give, ya know. Thanks for replying to me. Maybe that is all it is just so unsure of everything at this point.

Comment

Hi Buckroo and welcome to our MS World! I hope you feel welcomed here and we can be of help to you, especially just being diagnosed.

If you find that going back to work continually exhausts you and brings on acute symptoms, you might want to check with your work about applying for short term disability. Your Dr. can help you with that. Or, you might just be able to "wing it" until you feel stronger? Get lots of rest and eat well.

Are you on a DMT right now?

I wish you better days ahead and take care of yourself!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Welcome. You are very recently diagnosed. How are you sleeping? Are you fatigued early in the day, even before your work commute? Fatigue and heat can bring on pseudo-symptoms that abate wants you rest or cool off. For me, both create that feeling off balance and mentally off.

Have you started any new medications, either symptom management or a disease modifying treatment? Can side effects be playing a role?

Do you eat breakfast? General health and nutrition can also play roles.

I know you don't want to worry your adult children, but do you have anyone you can talk too? Social support can be crucial in helping adjust to a diagnosis, as well as dealing with ups and downs. This board is great, but it helps to have home support too. I used a therapist to get my fears out in a safe place, without worrying family in the early days.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working on patience

Hi Buckaroo70. I’m also new here. It’s hard for me to wait for things to play out, but maybe that’s the answer here. Take a couple sick days and just treat it like a flu that will pass, until you really have reason to believe it won’t. I agree that we all need to be able to talk and vent; I don’t want to weary my wife with all my fears, although she is very supportive. That’s why I am here. Best regards

Comment

Thank you all for the advice it's nice when you feel heard lol. I joined a similar MS group on Facebook and wrote a similar post seeking advice with no feedback whatsoever ! So really thanks! I think I'm figuring out what's up though through researching things. Well I'm hoping anyways lol. There's apparently a connection with your "woman monthly thing"and your MS symptoms,says a lot of women,so I'm thinking that's the thing here. I'm gonna give it hell come Monday and see if things will go better lol! Thanks again everyone!

Comment

Working...
              X