• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exercuse Check-In for 12/7/17

Six people checked in this week.

GOALS REACHED:
    Two made goals.

GOALS MISSED:
    Three missed goals. We'll keep trying. Some of you are recovering or busy. I have no excuses. We'll keep trying.

OTHER;
    One did not set a goal last week.

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Made Goal

Hi everyone

Made goal of up on feet doing activities/walking/standing (with rollator) for 30 min, 4X a day, and stretches.

I tried, but wasn't able, to do any continuous 30 min walks, without stopping to stand. Last week I was able to do it 3X.

MS is unpredictable like that.

I will try again next week, but not making it a goal - will consider it to be a bonus if I can do it.

Wishing perseverance and stamina to all!
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I am ready to start making a goal for this week, although still recovering. DH wants me to have an x-ray of my hand, but I'm stubborn. I still think it's a bruised bone. IDK

So, my goal for the week is to clean my house. We had people staying at our house for awhile while we were gone. They cleaned, but not up to my standards. I'm going to ask for a pedometer for Christmas, so I can start to record my steps. I walk a lot inside and I'm curious how many steps I take. Any suggestions for one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Hope everyone has a good week ahead
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I made goal. Glad that I changed it last week . Goal is >3k steps on 3 days a week with average of >2800 steps/day.

Thu - 3573
        Fri - 3299
        Sat - 1594
        Sun - 1223
        Mon - 3489 (shopping)
        Tue - 3178
        Wen - 4542 (volunteer work)

Had >3k steps on 5 days with an average of 2985 steps/day.

I will keep same goal for next week, and attempt to work on making my "house happier". I will not call mopping/cleaning house a goal but if it happens will use as a bonus.

KoKo - great job on goal! I know how frustrating it is to be able to something one week and not able to do the same thing the next . I have faith that you will be taking 30 minute walks again soon .

Comment

Seasha - our posts crossed so I didn't see yours until after I hit submit. Glad that you are feeling up to setting goals again.

As far as a pedometer - I use a Garmin fitness tracker (which I love) but mamabug got one and isnt as happy with it as me . I like the sleep function on it, and it can be used to count calories if you are willing to input the data.
          Others may have ideas of even more inexpensive and more basic pedometers.

Comment

I made my goal of riding my bike 3 days. I also did some light house work.

Congrats to all that made goals.

Seasha so glad you are able to set a goal.

I hope everyone has a great next wk. and boy are the wks. flying by.
            God Bless Us All

Comment

Seasha ~ Happy housecleaning to you ~ hope your hand feels better!

msgijo ~ Wow, 2985 average steps per day is fantastic! Also, thank you for your vote of confidence for my 30 min walk next week!

REG ~ So happy for you that you were able to ride that bike 3X, and do some light housework too!

Mamabug ~ Yes, we just keep trying - good wishes for your goal next week!
              PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I didn't post my check-in info yet. And, maybe, this week, I won't.

Instead, I'm trying to figure out where to go with my personal goals for this weekly check-in. I've not achieved my goal a bunch of weeks in a row. And, I don't want to just set a new "easy" goal, just so I can make it. I need to figure out how to set a goal that's manageable but not so over-simplistic that it gives me "permission" to do nothing.

Any suggestions? Not really looking for suggestions about specific goals, but ideas about how to think about / process this, so that I can come up with my own goal.
                ~ Faith
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                  Any suggestions? Not really looking for suggestions about specific goals, but ideas about how to think about / process this, so that I can come up with my own goal.
                  Well, when I am in that rut I try to look at the coming week and see what things I am likely to do. Do I need to work with my houseplants? Is it time to get feed again? Maybe I can get a jump on volunteer work and put in a spare couple of hours?
                  Maybe you are putting up Christmas decorations - that counts (in my vote) as activity towards exercise.

The hardest goals I had were the PT exercises. They weren't even mine - just some dh was doing that I thought would help me. I still do some of them once in a while, but as a goal that was a fail!

In other words it is easier or me to meet my goals if they involve things that I am going to do anyways. A good one for me this week would have been stretches - it is cold and rainy here for most of the week - but I didn't think about it when setting my goals this week .

We can (and do) change goals (sometimes weekly) so whatever you decide on is not in stone. I am certain that you will come up with some goals that are achievable and still challenging enough. Meanwhile, enjoy the downtime .

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                    Sorry you feel bad about not making goals for awhile. You were on a roll with your "steps" until you hurt your foot/toe, weren't you? I don't have any grand ideas on how to process what you're going through, but maybe it's just the fact that it's winter time and hard to get motivated when it's cold, icy or snowy outside? I know not having my usual gardening routine has thrown me off until spring rolls around again.

How about calling off step counting for awhile if you feel like you're in a rut and try something new? Start swimming or take a beginner's yoga class? Do brain exercises. Give yourself a treat for whatever you decide to do for reaching any kind of goal. I try to remember exercises raise endorphins - not doing anything puts me in a funk.

And try not to not be hard on yourself. You'll get there.
                    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Exercuse

I don't know if the word "exercuse" was used intentionally, but I LOVE it. 😁 That's what it feels like to me.

My left leg is horrible most days due to spasticity and I struggle to work my shifts, but I CAN walk, I can't afford the pool membership they want me to do or a home recumbent bicycle trainer - but I should be setting goals to increase my walking and stop with the exercuses. 😀

They say once I get my baclofen pump, it will make some other exercises easier, but I had to respond as I loved the wording.

Comment

Completed all exercises

Sorry I am so late in responding. I did finish all exercises but will probably have problems this coming week because of Christmas duties. I'm behind in writing my annual Christmas letter. Best wishes to all. Karen

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                          ... I'm going to ask for a pedometer for Christmas, so I can start to record my steps. I walk a lot inside and I'm curious how many steps I take. Any suggestions for one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?
                          Yeah; I also have a Garmin Fitness tracker. less expensive than a FitBit, but does more than a pedometer. The only thing I don't like about mine is that it doesn't have a GPS. Because you wear it on your wrist, mine counts wrist movements, which works fine for counting normal steps. But it doesn't count shopping steps because my wrist doesn't move when I'm pushing a cart.

In the past, I had a OMRON KJ-112 pedometer. I loved it. I had it for years and years. Worked better than cheap ones I tried from Walmart. I bought it on Amazon. When I lost it, I decided to try a tracker. I still think it must be in the house somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it for a long time so if it's here, it is hidden well.

However, none of the above are inexpensive.
                          ~ Faith
                          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Originally posted by Sazed View Post
                            I don't know if the word "exercuse" was used intentionally, but I LOVE it. 😁 That's what it feels like to me.

My left leg is horrible most days due to spasticity and I struggle to work my shifts, but I CAN walk, I can't afford the pool membership they want me to do or a home recumbent bicycle trainer - but I should be setting goals to increase my walking and stop with the exercuses. 😀

They say once I get my baclofen pump, it will make some other exercises easier, but I had to respond as I loved the wording.
                            Lol! It was a typo, but, yeah -- I noticed the humor too. Thanks for your comment.

Please come back next week -- http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...78#post1506078
                            ~ Faith
                            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                            X