Am I crazy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I crazy

So several months ago I went to see my primary care doctor for my annual physical. I mentioned that I had been bothered by what seemed to be some nerve pain in my lower back, really in my hip area and she told me to get a new mattress and take some ibuprofen. I also started Topamax for migraines at that time.

Fast forward to September, I come back in for my follow up and I tell her that I have been having pins and needles sensations as well as numbness in my face. At that time it had only happened a few times and would resolve quickly. She thought it may be a side effect of the Topamax and said to keep a journal of when it happened and let her know if it got worse. Well, needless to say, it has gotten worse or I would not be here. I literally feel like I am going crazy every day with pins and needles and muscle twitches which are now not only in my face but also my arms and legs as well. I am also experiencing severe pains in my thigh that nothing seems to help. I have had dizzy spells that make me almost vomit. Most recently the pins and needles have become so intense it is painful. At fist it was jut annoying. I also continue to have the same nerve pain in my hip/back and it is painful/difficult to go up or down stairs.

I had contacted my Dr. via email when the symptoms started to get worse and she took me off the Topamax. I continued to keep my journal and saw her a few weeks later and when I showed her that my symptoms were persisting even without the Topamax she put me back on it, at a higher dose, thinking that it would help. It hasn't. I have even been to the ER once because it got so bad and they were useless. She keeps saying if it is not better next time we will refer you to neurology.

Reflecting back over the last several years I have had several issues that could possibly related. I have had numbness in my hands on and off for years which my old MD basically dismissed saying it did not follow the carpal tunnel criteria so I must be lying. I have also had that same leg pain intermittently for the last few years. I used to attribute it to working on my feet (which I no longer do). It could all be coincidence, I could be reading into it more than I should, but I know I do NOT feel right. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? I feel like it has gotten progressively worse in the last 6 months very quickly and it worries me.

Thanks for any insight you can share!

Hi Wonderwoman11,

I'm sure you aren't crazy

The symptoms you are having could be caused by any number of things. Multiple Sclerosis can be difficult to diagnose as there is no single test, by it's self, that can give a definitive diagnosis and no symptom that is exclusive to this disease.

Information about diagnosing MS:
    https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sy.../Diagnosing-MS

Information about other conditions to rule out:
    https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sy...ns-to-Rule-Out

Take care
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Snoopy. I have done a lot of research to know what to ask my doctor. I am a firm believer in being informed, the worst they can say is no! I just thought it would be nice to get perspective from people who have experience with symptoms or could possibly relate. Reading a list of symptoms on the computer is open to so much interpretation at times.

I have already had preliminary lab work done and a CT when I went to the ER (so no tumor, yay!) but also no answers yet. I anticipate more tats at my next visit. From what I have read this is not abnormal, to go through several rounds of testing and doctors which is frustrating and I am not looking forward to.

Comment

Hi Wonderwoman11,

The testing you have had thus far appears to be focused on the brain. After re-reading your original post the below quotes is what stands out for me.

I mentioned that I had been bothered by what seemed to be some nerve pain in my lower back, really in my hip area
        I am also experiencing severe pains in my thigh that nothing seems to help
        I also continue to have the same nerve pain in my hip/back and it is painful/difficult to go up or down stairs.
        Your Dr. should consider a back problem which could account for the above. X-rays and/or MRIs can be used to detect back problems, as well as MS. Back problems (herniated/bulging discs, spinal stenosis, etc.) can cause Neurological symptoms. Arthritis can also be a consideration for hip/back pain.

Do you get any pain relief with over-the-counter pain relievers? Nerve pain doesn't respond to OTC pain relievers.

Just some thoughts...
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I am definitely planning on asking for those tests as well. What is really bugging me is the transition from back pain to numbness and tingling in my face. That and the constant twitching around my cheek and eye. It happens in a lot of my muscles now, but those bother me the most, I guess because I can see them in my periphery. I really just feel like I am falling apart.

Comment

Working...
          X