Sleep Meds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sleep Meds

I have had issues sleeping ever since diagnoses of MS 12 years ago.
    My neuro prescribed ambien, then it quit working.
    Next was Ambien CR, worked great, just too expensive.
    Then I was prescribed Temazepam 15mg. This has and continues to work great, for at least 10 years. I take the Temazepam with my antidepressant Mirtazapine 30 mg.

I keep seeing bad articles about memory loss with long term use of benzodiazepines.

So I spoke with my doc and she said I only need to take Temazepam as needed.
    The doc said that I take such a small amount I shouldn't have any withdrawal symptoms other than not being able to fall asleerp.
    So I didn't take any Temazepam last night.
    Instead of Temazepam I took 2.5 mg of Melatonin. I just broke a 5 mg in half.
    In the past the 5 mg made me drowsy the next day.
    I slept great, I was a little drowsy for a couple hours in the morning.

I think tonight I will only take 1/4 quarter of a pill, so only 1.25 mg.
    I hope this works and I continue to sleep well.

Does anyone else have experience with stopping Temazepam and replacing it with Melatonin?

I have long since been taken off benzodiazepines as I take pain meds. I need them for anxiety but can't have both. I use melatonin and trazadone for sleep, I was a little leary about the melatonin. But it really worked a 5mg tablet was putting me out within 15 minutes. But it does not keep you a sleep so I take trazadone which has the going to sleep issue together they work great. Though over a years time it was taking longer and longer to work until eventually it didn't. Now I take a 10mg pill and it works again.

Comment

Sleep meds

Sorry you are having such trouble sleeping. This is a big part of MS that I think is a common symptom. I think it had been 2 years since I went to bed and woke up in the daylight, not 2 times during the night then difficulty falling back to sleep. The baclofen I’m on helps me fall asleep now, which use to take hours if I could get to sleep. Pain or bathroom trips would wake me up nightly. Sleep is essential; the time our bodies restore itself.

My MS Neurourologist recommended I make lifestyle changes such as not reading on my iPad to fall asleep, and leaving it in the family room so I wouldn’t be tempted to gab it after those bathroom trips at 2am. She recommended shuti.com. I was shocked at how well implementing a few changes made big improvements to my sleeping. I often wake up at 5:30am and once I was stunned that the clock read 6:57am!!! I push my bed time to later than I thought I was capable of, I was always looking to go lay down 8-8:30pm. I hope other MSers will try that website and get some shut eye.

Comment

Working...
      X