• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exercise Check-In for 11/16/17

Six people checked in this week.

GOALS REACHED:
    Three made goals.

GOALS MISSED:
    Three missed goals. Keep trying. Posting, when we miss our goals, often helps us, I think, to be motivated to try again next week. As long as you did something, pat yourself on the back anyways.

Reg -- I'm so sorry about your FIL. Take the time you need to connect with family. You can work on exercise when the busy-ness is over.

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Made one goal

Not enough steps. And, I'm not remembering to do my PT regularly. I think I need to put up some sticky note reminders in some places where I will see them.

Here were my current goals:
    1. Increase steps slightly, to average of 2,000 per day. (That's not as much as I used to do, before my sprained toe and physical therapy, but it's an increase from the past 3 months.)
    2. Do my PT exercises at least 4 times out of 7 days.

Steps plus exercise:
    Th- 1563 steps,

F - 1809 steps,
    S - 1293 steps
    S - 1992 steps, PT exercises
    Mon - 1053 steps, PT exercises
    Tue - 1208 steps, PT exercises
    W - 2103 steps, Silver Sneakers at the Y, PT exercises
    Total: 11,021 steps; average 1574 per day

I didn't walk enough steps again. I did my PT exercises 4x, but just barely. The first three days I didn't do them; I've been having trouble remembering. So, I put up a blank sticky note in my bedroom, to remind me of the lying down ones, and another one in the bathroom, to remind me of the standing ones which I often do by the sink after I wash my hands. It helped.

Now, I need to utilized those same sticky notes to remind me to take an extra 100 steps multiple times during the day -- ie: just walking in place. In the past, when I used to volunteer more in the community, getting out more made it easier. And, we used to go out to eat more and I cook at home more now (which is mostly a good thing), but it also contributes to fewer steps in the course of a day.

And, exciting news! (I also shared this in the Weightloss Check-in.) My daughter had a baby on Sunday, November 12 -- a little brother for big brother, M, who is 18 months old. Labor was fairly short, and much easier than her very difficult first labor. Baby L weighs 8 lbs, 3.5 oz; is 20.5" long.

We've seen photos and Skyped once. We expect to see him in person when they visit in January. MIL is there now and helping with lots of stuff.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

GOALS from last week: I will continue with step goal (3k steps 3 days/week with average of >2800 steps/day). Additional goals are going to be iffy - we have 3 doctor appointments scheduled. I will attempt to do 1 day of volunteer work and finish mopping the floors (at least a start on my 'happy house' ).

I completed all of my goals .

Thu - 2161 steps
      Fri - 5024
      Sat - 2412
      Sun - 4559
      Mon - 4570
      Tue - 3877
      Wen - 3085

5 of 7 days over 3000 steps, with average of 3610 steps / day.
      And I mopped entire house this week, did volunteer work 1 day and even made all 3 docotrs appointments. I am exhausted.

Testing was to have been done today to determine course of treatment for thyroids but I received a call yesterday afternoon - the test requires a 'pre-cert', so it will have to be rescheduled . The doctor seemed to be more focused on the problem of thyroids yesterday than on my diabetes , but I still need the test results before he can determine how to treat me .

Funny thing occurred at doctor visit. He told me that my levels were about 4x normal and told me that I need to eat. Everything that I like to eat as much of as I wanted to. This is in an effort to slow down weight loss (which I kinda like) as well as to keep my glucose levels on the high side (which I do not like). Never had a doctor tell me that!

Great news Mambug! I know how exciting it is to have a new grandchild - and the 2nd one is as exciting as the 1st.
      Sorry about the less steps. It is hard when what you did before is not what you do now.

Comment

I made my goals for last week with the rest of my house cleaning - nothing like having out ot town company over for an entire day to get motivated! Did my yoga and extra stretching exercises too.

I am now away from home for a bit, and will not make goals for next week. Where we are staying is a 3 story house and bedrooms are on the 2nd floor. ugh. 12 steps up and 12 down has been very challenging to say the least! Will be traveling to a different place in a few days, thankfully. Having a great time, however!

Congrats on the new baby, grandma Mamabug!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

First I would like to thank you for your thoughts and prayers in the passing of my FIL, it has been a very trying wk for me and dh.

I did NOT make goal. I haven't been sitting around either. I have been on the go this wk. I did ride my bike 1 day and I was going to ride it the next day but just like Mamabug I forgot. I did get some packing in but not much.

Next wk goals. Doing some packing and riding bike 3 days.

Mamabug - congratulations on your new grandbaby.

Good job to all making your goals.
          God Bless Us All

Comment

Made Goal

Hi everyone

Made goal - 30 min up on feet (with walker) doing light activities, 4X a day, each day - and stretches.

Did extra time and activities on one of the days (bonus points).

The old body sure felt it the next day, but not to the point of extreme fatigue, thankfully (just medium fatigue).

I know that everyone is doing their best to keep moving, even though a particular goal isn't always achieved. We have to cooperate with our less than perfect physical bodies when they need rest.

Wishing good energy and stamina to all.
            PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

d

I did not do any exercising. I was totally caught up with company. I'll try to get back on the horse. Karen

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving

6:30 pm the day before Thanksgiving for those of us in the US. I'm grateful for the support & kind words I've found here.
                Yes, I've been MIA for several weeks. Same sad story, and I've been pretty far down in the dumps. Being "out of commission" since spring is so foreign to me has been crazy hard. I went from one test away from 2nd Degree Black Belt to "this flight of stairs is just too blasted long". Just a series of bad luck klutzy accidents followed by a couple rounds of heavy duty bronchitis. "Just" hah! I'm thankful there hasn't been a MS relapse tossed in there. (looks around for something wooden to knock on)
                Not quite sure where to go from here. I'm not yet recovered from bronchitis round two (making all the stairs at home truly hateful). Adding insult to all the injuries was that last checkup where I was silly enough to actually look at the scale at the weigh in. I've added almost 40pounds since last year. Sometimes I just want to curl up in ball and stop trying.
                "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
                Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

Originally posted by TinaP303 View Post
                  6:30 pm the day before Thanksgiving for those of us in the US. I'm grateful for the support & kind words I've found here.
                  Yes, I've been MIA for several weeks. Same sad story, and I've been pretty far down in the dumps. Being "out of commission" since spring is so foreign to me has been crazy hard. I went from one test away from 2nd Degree Black Belt to "this flight of stairs is just too blasted long". Just a series of bad luck klutzy accidents followed by a couple rounds of heavy duty bronchitis. "Just" hah! I'm thankful there hasn't been a MS relapse tossed in there. (looks around for something wooden to knock on)
                  Not quite sure where to go from here. I'm not yet recovered from bronchitis round two (making all the stairs at home truly hateful). Adding insult to all the injuries was that last checkup where I was silly enough to actually look at the scale at the weigh in. I've added almost 40pounds since last year. Sometimes I just want to curl up in ball and stop trying.
                  Hi Tina

So sorry to learn that you've been going through such a long rough patch, with injury and illness.

Try to keep hopeful for better days ahead (soon).

Sending good thoughts your way, for improvement in all areas, each day! (hey, that rhymed)

Hope you're able to be back to your active self soon, Tina!

Take Care
                  PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                  ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
                  X