Burning skin pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burning skin pain

What do you do to help burning skin pain? My dr is trying a new medicine but this has been getting steadily worse over the last month and half just wondering if anyone out there has any ideas.

Okie, I started experiencing Allodynia=skin pain in late winter of 2015. I've had to spell A.l.l.o.d.y.n.i.a for my doc's and nurses, so there's that. Plus not very much info available via Dr. Google. The most info I've found is using google search terms that include Transverse Myelitis + MS + Allodynia.

I wish I had more info or suggestions for you but I'm allergic to serotonin/low dose antidepressant meds used for pain management, Neurontin and Lyrica, the class of meds used to treat central pain.
    Colder weather months are the worse for me. Cold skin plus heavy clothing are a bad combination for anyone with painful skin. I've recently consulted with a Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation doctor.

Comment

I had burning sensation on my legs last year this time. I wore compression socks for 3 days straight- night and day- except for showering. It resulted in immediate relief.

Comment

So sorry to hear. I have had this type of pain in the past, but thankfully, it remitted. I know for me, nothing really worked. IV steroids helped a little. But these were given since had other relapse related symptoms.

I feel for anyone experiencing this pain. I remember crying in the shower, because the water hurt. I pray the new medicine works for you.

I
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hot Iron

The very first sign of MS that I had was a feeling that someone placed a hot iron on top of my head and on my forearms. That was nearly 20 years ago and the doctors were at a loss as to why that was happening, never did a MRI (back then), and just told me as we age, things happen. The skin burning sensation increased over the years and then 11 years ago, I experienced optic neuritis and an ophthalmologist ordered my first MRI. Finally, dx when brain lesions were seen on MRI and a spinal tap done. I am now secondary progressive MS. The burning has increased from head, forearms, to also fingers, back, thighs, calves, and toes. Until reading this thread, I never knew there was a name for this! None of my neurology or primary docs ever have named it nor suggested any solution, just that it was a MS symptom. So, all these years, when the burning happens (not for long periods of time, thank goodness), I just wait it out. Ah, well....
          Best to you,

Comment

Beach Betty, so sorry to hear about your Allodynia pain. Mine feels like sand paper with an Electric Sander has covered the surface of my hands, arms, torso and sometimes my thighs. Palms of my hands actually get extremely red and inflamed. Sleeping is impossible when bed linens touching skin causes such a painful sensation.

I agree with you about Doc's not fully appreciating the extent of discomfort and pain this sx causes. I actually felt a bit under suspicion from my docs because I do know the name of this sx. It's annoying when docs treat us like children and withhold info about our sx.

There are treatments for nerve pain such as low dose ADs, Neurontin, Lyrica and several others. You should discuss options with your doc.

Best of luck and take care

Comment

Working...
            X