prokarin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

prokarin

has a anyone tried prokarin or does anyone know where i can get it to try it?

**Email address removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to your Username on black bar running across top of page > My Settings > Edit Profile**

Hi glortoth and welcome!

Prokarin hasn't been discussed here for a very long time and probably because the drug, a mixture of caffeine and histamine, has not been proven to be symptom effective/cost effective for MS.

Here's what Quackwatch has to say about it:

Prokarin (also called Procarin) is a skin cream that is administered using a patch that enables its ingredients to be absorbed. The treatment is based on a hypothesis that involves histamine and dates back to the 1940s. The primary promoter is Elaine DeLack, a nurse who "discovered" and patented a mixture of histamine and caffeine. Compounding pharmacists prepare the product, which is inexpensive to manufacture but is sold for about $250 for a month's supply.

In February 2002, the journal Multiple Sclerosis published the results of a 12-week study of MS patients in which 21 people took Prokarin, 5 took a placebo, and all participants were asked to limit their intake of caffeinated beverages to one cup of regular coffee per day. The authors concluded that Prokarin produced a "modest" lessening of fatigue [9]. The National Multiple Sclerosis Society advised that the study was difficult to interpret because the number of participants was small; the numbers in the Prokarin and placebo groups were very different; the fact that Prokarin contains caffeine might mix up the results; and other reasons [10]. The Society also warned that Prokarin lacks a scientifically plausible rationale and has not been proven to modify the course of the disease [11] and that while Prokarin does not apppear to be harmful, the level of benefit does ot justiy its very high cost [11].

Prokarin proponents are promoting this study as showing that Prokarin "works." But even if it can lessen fatigue, there is no reason to believe it can influence the course of the disease, which is why most people take it. In my opinion, it is a poor investment and any marketing that arouses hope that it will influence the course of MS is both unethical and may be illegal. If you encounter a pharmacist selling Prokarin, ask the state pharmacy board to investigate what claims are being made.

https://www.quackwatch.org/01Quacker...Topics/ms.html (other good topics here too)

I see you can purchase it on Amazon if you are really interested.
    Good luck
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I tried it for 2 or 3 months. When driving, I couldn't feel where my left leg was and couldn't find the brake right away. Very scary. As soon as I stopped the medicine, everything went back to normal.

Comment

Working...
      X