Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allergy Drug Improves Function in Patients with Chronic Injury from MS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Myoak View Post

Related News: Zebrafish Help Researchers Uncover Clues to Myelin Formation »

Flipping the Switch

"Our hypothesis is that in MS, the oligodendrocyte progenitor cells seem to get stuck," Sim explained in a press release. "When these cells don't mature properly, they don't differentiate into myelinating oligodendrocytes."

A progenitor cell is a step up from a stem cell. It’s already on its way to becoming a specific type of adult cell, but it needs a boost to trigger that action. Sim and his team discovered this final transformation was being blocked. A receptor on the surface of the progenitor cells had been activated and the cells got stuck.

This same receptor is present on the surface of the smooth wall of the bladder. When it’s activated, contractions can occur leading to overactive bladder. The contractions can be controlled with the use of solifenacin, which works by blocking the receptor. This sparked the research team to wonder if the drug could help the stuck progenitor cells, too.

In order to measure how damaged nerves functioned before and after the treatment, Sim teamed up with Richard J. Salvi, Ph.D., director of the Center for Hearing and Deafness at University at Buffalo.

"When there isn’t enough myelin, the signaling slows down. And if you add myelin, you should see the signals speed up,"Fraser Sim, Ph.D., University at Buffalo.

They transplanted human oligodendrocytes treated with solifenacin into hearing-impaired mice unable to grow myelin.

It takes a specific length of time for a signal to pass from the ear, once a sound is heard, to the front part of the brain for processing.

“So in the readout,” said Sim, “you get waves that should have a certain time pattern. When there isn’t enough myelin, the signaling slows down. And if you add myelin, you should see the signals speed up.”

In the mice with transplanted cells, the response time improved.

Myoak - as always, Thank you for digging so deeply into the research side of MS, and for sharing it with us here on MSW!

This is of interest to me - I have become hard of hearing as my MS progresses.
    But the explanation here really peaked my interest - I often hear what was said in a later than normal time. The people who I interact with often have learned to pause before continuing on in conversations instead of repeating what they said. I have always joked that I 'caught the echoes' when I finally "hear" what they said .

I have questioned my ENTs about the reason for my hearing loss, and their answers are always ambiguous (read that as they have no idea). While it is another piece to the puzzle, unfortunately it is not of much use .

Comment

I have questioned my ENTs about the reason for my hearing loss, and their answers are always ambiguous (read that as they have no idea).

Wow! Your post is most interesting. To think that some ENTs are clueless to the possibility of MS contributing to hearing loss is remarkable.

I do want to re-emphasize the point in my post about something which has a distinct possibility of helping re-grow myelin and a lot of pwMS are already taking it... solifenacin, which is Vesicare.

IMO, Vesicare clearly boosts myelin production in mice and in humans. I believe this because in mice Muscarinic receptor (M3R) signaling prevents efficient remyelination. And the same receptor (M3R) is found in humans.

Blocking M3R signaling in mice allows allows re-myelination, we know that from studies. It is entirely believable that blocking the same M3R signaling in humans has the same effect, re-myelination.

Solifenacin (Vesicare) blocks M3R signaling, thereby helping nerves remyelinate.

Of course, Vesicare is a bladder control drug many pwMS use.

And btw, dear God in heaven please let there not be anyone still taking Ditropan! (oxybutynin). Long term, it lowers IQ and causes dementia. Why the hell would any doctor prescribe Ditropan instead of Vesicare unless he has not been doing his CMEs (Continuing Medical Education) for YEARS! Aren't there enough cog fog problems already w/o causing more?!

Cognitive problems are found using oxybutynin (Ditropan) which is an anticholinergic drug.

http://www.msard-journal.com/article...059-4/abstract

“ACD (Anticholinergic drugs) are known for their deleterious cognitive effects in older individuals”

Comment

Research on Clemastine

This thread is a bit old, but I thought this might be of interest to those looking at clemastine to help with remyelination.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VgHi4JjKVwA%C2%A0as
        Echo
        DX 2007 Started Ocrevus on 2/14/2018

"Some where over the rainbow...."

Comment

Working...
        X