UTI question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UTI question

Has anyone ever had a UTI to clear up on it's own without taking antibiotics?

I have an UTI. I am waiting for the culture to come back before taking an antibiotic because my last UTI the dr. told me that Cipro sometimes is resistant to the bacteria I had. That scared me to death because that is usually the antibiotic I need. Thankfully it worked.

I usually take an antibiotic until the culture gets back but not this time and I am going to stop Microbid after I cath, I stopped this once but started back because it scared me to cath without taking an antibiotic and I started taking D-mannose. My dr. approved of this.

I was surprised when the dr. told me that sometimes a UTI will clear up without taking an antibotic.
    I had never heard this before and I have had my share of UTI's.
    God Bless Us All

Hi REG53,
    I never had an UTI before my MS diagnosis. Since 2009, I've become quite very familiar with them. I tried D-mannose and cranberry tablets/pills with little or no success. One of my urologists nurses suggested that I discontinue those supplements and substitute powdered vitamin C, instead. That is working for me and it has been for about 2 years. I was told that the urine in my bladder needs to be 'acidified'. So, I am sure, there is a way to check the PH levels but I just make sure to drink about 2000 or 3000 mgs powder in a glass of water or juice, without added sugar. Good luck

Comment

Thanks Jerry, first I've heard of using powered vit. c. I have taken 4 cranberry pills a day for a while and now adding d-mannose. I will try this for a while and see how it goes. If not so good I will definitely try the vit c.

I hope you are still feeling better.
      God Bless Us All

Comment

I have- sort of

REG53, first things first, you should never let a bladder infection “heal itself” because the long term affects can damage your kidneys. However, there are plenty of things you can do that do not have to do with medicine per se.

I am on such a regiment that it is a part of my life just like in hailing. First of all your doctors correct that vitamin C for anyone who retains urine is very important part of your diet. You don’t have to do that via supplement. I make sure the first thing I drink every morning add to my body. So I have a 50-50 mixture of a cranberry-grape juice and 50% water and I drink 10 ounces with my oatmeal breakfast.

Further are used to take two vitamin C supplements a day and because I switched in the morning to that regiment I got to get rid of the first one. I choose to take a second one because I am sleeping and immobile at night aside from getting up multiple times to P. So the evening vitamin C pill I do check. I cut all things like soda from my list.

I recently learned having halted coffee completely due to bladder control issues. I learned that if I just make sure water which is what I drink in between breakfast and dinner and I also mix at least one of those glasses of water with 50% blueberry and pomegranate juice. The latter being a good counter to inflammation. A lot of water is absolutely necessary to bladder health and a mixture instead of the whole amount of Cran products does work for me.

I have not had a bladder infection in a year and a half to two years. Are used to have them constantly and had to constantly be on antibiotics. The choice to take control of my intake of fluids and Vitamin C supplement changed everything. I do not know about the powder form but it seems counterproductive to retaining in your system it seems like the powder form my dissipates through your system quicker which is not what you want for bladder issues. I hope that helps you

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Comment

ElectricJAW- Thank you so much for all your suggestions and I'm glad your uti's are under control.

My dr. put me on Methenamine, which is an antiseptic for the bladder and 500mg vit C. I am also still taking 4 cranberry pills a day and d-mannose. So far so good but time will tell.
          God Bless Us All

Comment

Working...
          X