Did my drug/alcohol abuse cause this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just wanna ask, did my cocaine, marijauna, alcohol abuse in my twenties and 30's cause my MS? I wasn't a full on addict but I overindulged a few times recreationally over the last decade. Goes without saying I'm done with all of that now that I've been diagnosed but I feel like I might have done this to myself.

does this have any validity? The docs say nothing I did could have caused this in the past, I'm guessing I was just predisposed in this life to have MS.

Just gotta be easy on myself I suppose as there is nothing or no one to blame it is what it is. And it SUCKS!!!

-best to all

Hi Ant1981,

The answer is no

Please go to this link for information about what causes MS:
    https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Wh...What-Causes-MS

The National Multiple Sclerosis Society has a wealth of information about the disease. I would suggest you go to their website for a better understanding of this disease
    https://www.nationalmssociety.org/
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Google "Stages of Grief".

Your doctors have already answered your question. Bottom line - no one knows why some people get MS and others don't. Nobody knows what causes it.

Take care.

Comment

Hopefully I'm repeating this story somewhat correctly but I recall a poster on one of these boards who said her mother insinuated she got MS as a result of partying and unladylike behavior.

Apparently Mom's theory later lost all credibility when she was diagnosed with MS also.

I believe it is mostly our genetic predisposition with possibly some environmental and stress factors that contribute to the chances of developing this rotten disease.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Nope. Plenty of people with MS never touched a drop of liquor or inhaled anything stronger than air.
          Don't look back; you've got enough to deal with.

Comment

You didn't cause your ms!

Hi Ant,
            I feel your pain. I also have a less than pure past as far as sex and drugs and I also wondered if my past contributed to my ms. But now I don't think it did.
            I believe that ms is caused mostly by your genes. Since my diagnosis two of my cousins have also developed ms and I know that my great grandmother also had ms! So stop punishing yourself for your past and just try to live a healthy lifestyle now!
            Good Luck!

Comment

I think a lot of us have "guilty feelings" that make us believe we caused this disease ourselves. Who hasn't made bad judgements or mistakes? Every time I go to a clinic I look around and see that just about EVERYONE is sick with something. This is life. We take what we get. Think of all the innocent little babies who are terminally sick. Look at all those St Jude kids. They didn't do a single thing to bring these things to their lives. Neither did you!
              Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Someone said that coke could make MS worse, and then asked me if I did coke! I said yeah, I slam 8 balls behind my classroom all the time and everyone laughed. Maybe smoking and cocaine exacerbate MS, but if partying caused MS a lot more people would have it!

Comment

I am a recovering alcoholic and yes, it crossed my mind as well but it has been absolutely, unequivocally debunked.

Comment

Week before

Well 7 days prior I did coke. Prior to catching a nasty flu bug and then I went in, it was the flu which set off the symptoms but my girlfriend is convinced the coke did.

is this possible 7 days later that it's the coke not the nasty flu?

Comment

Originally posted by Ant1981 View Post
                      Well 7 days prior I did coke. Prior to catching a nasty flu bug and then I went in, it was the flu which set off the symptoms but my girlfriend is convinced the coke did.

is this possible 7 days later that it's the coke not the nasty flu?
                      It really is common to have this disease much longer than your diagnosis date, it's really easy to blow of symptoms as some other cause until symptoms get really noticeable and troublesome.

The flu was more than likely what off symptoms and got your attention.

Although loved ones believe they are helping sometimes they tell us things that are not true simply out of a lack of knowledge of this disease.
                      Diagnosed 1984
                      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Working...
                      X