Switch to Tec?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switch to Tec?

It's been a few years since I've been active on this board - tried to avoid thinking about MS for a while. Anyways, I had been on Copaxone since diagnosis in 9/20808 (actually started in the CombiRX trial), and due to lack of motivation/complacency/denial, I haven't done the shots regularly in over 1 year.

Recently, I decided to find a new neuro, and she ordered a baseline MRI. It showed at least one new brain lesion (enhancing, which is new for me), so I've decided to go back on a med. We narrowed it down to either going back to Copaxone or trying Tecfidera. I am a little torn about which one to start, and I'd like to get comments, especially from those who considered a switch and did or did not make it.

Sticking myself with a needle never really bothered me, and I never got any bad side effects from the Copaxone. And I will say my MS was pretty stable while I was on it (I realize this and the new lesion being off it could be coincidence). But the needles are pretty inconvenient - having to keep them refrigerated, taking them when you travel, disposing of them (I have a bio-hazard container full of syringes that I need to dispose of somehow).

On the flip side, though the convenience of a pill is nice, I've been reading about the side effects of Tecfidera. And I'm not sure I want to have to deal with new side effects right now. Plus, there's the routine blood monitoring that you have to do.

Sorry for the long-winded rambling. As I said, I like to hear others thoughts.

I made the switch last November. I just couldn't stand the shots anymore. Happy to say I have had no real side effects from Tec, and it has been pretty easy to tolerate. My MS has remained stable thank God. Give it a try! Medication you don't take can never work.
    Carole
    diagnosed 10/25/11

Comment

Tecfidera

Originally posted by patientx View Post
      It's been a few years since I've been active on this board - tried to avoid thinking about MS for a while. Anyways, I had been on Copaxone since diagnosis in 9/20808 (actually started in the CombiRX trial), and due to lack of motivation/complacency/denial, I haven't done the shots regularly in over 1 year.

Recently, I decided to find a new neuro, and she ordered a baseline MRI. It showed at least one new brain lesion (enhancing, which is new for me), so I've decided to go back on a med. We narrowed it down to either going back to Copaxone or trying Tecfidera. I am a little torn about which one to start, and I'd like to get comments, especially from those who considered a switch and did or did not make it.

Sticking myself with a needle never really bothered me, and I never got any bad side effects from the Copaxone. And I will say my MS was pretty stable while I was on it (I realize this and the new lesion being off it could be coincidence). But the needles are pretty inconvenient - having to keep them refrigerated, taking them when you travel, disposing of them (I have a bio-hazard container full of syringes that I need to dispose of somehow).

On the flip side, though the convenience of a pill is nice, I've been reading about the side effects of Tecfidera. And I'm not sure I want to have to deal with new side effects right now. Plus, there's the routine blood monitoring that you have to do.

Sorry for the long-winded rambling. As I said, I like to hear others thoughts.
      I have just started my tecfidera titration at 120mg twice a day a so far I have 0 side effects, nil, not even a trace. I just hope when my dosage increased to 240 mg twice a day it remains this easy to tolerate. I have an MRI in 8 months to see how I'm doing and more bloodwork in feb but so far it's very easy to take and tolerate.

Comment

480 mg

Originally posted by Ant1981 View Post
        I have just started my tecfidera titration at 120mg twice a day a so far I have 0 side effects, nil, not even a trace. I just hope when my dosage increased to 240 mg twice a day it remains this easy to tolerate. I have an MRI in 8 months to see how I'm doing and more bloodwork in feb but so far it's very easy to take and tolerate.
        I am on the full dose all week and have 0 side effects still, if my MRI next month remains clear with no progression and my blood work remains normal I'll be so happy 😁

Comment

The only side effect I get from Tec anymore is flushing, and that's only if I haven't had enough water. That's been getting better over the past year and some.

I started on Avonex, and it didn't really work well for me in the year that I was on it. I don't like needles anyway. *shrug*

My last MRI came back with no new lesions in the past year, so Tec is doing really well by me.

Comment

I've been on Tec since Aug 2013 and had/have very few side effects since starting and over the past four years.

I have the same experience with flushing as headrift stated--not enough water, I experience the flushing.

Also, have had no new lesions since starting Tec, no flares and have been able to keep up with all my regular activities/lifestyle. Overall, I'm very happy with it and getting the bloodwork done every 6 months now is not a big deal for me. I'd rather take a pill and get blood drawn that poke myself with a needle!

Comment

I seems yourMO, you definitely need to use a medication. If Tec seems like it wil l be right for you, go for it!
              I used Tec for 2 years and tolerated it well . After 2 years, my neurologist suggested that I try Lemtrada. I will get my second, and last, infusion of Lemtrada in February of this year !
              Good luck with your next choice !

Comment

Working...
              X