Shingles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shingles

I have had the first two half doses of Ocrevus.
    My wife recently had gotten shingles.
    I do not have shingles.
    I told my neuro and he ordered a BMP and a CBC.
    He also started me on (2) 500 mg generic valtrex three times a day.
    He says that since I have had chicken pox and have taken Ocrevus that I am highly susceptible to getting shingles from my wife.
    I am supposed to not have any contact with her until the blisters have scabbed over.
    He says that the loss of b cells makes me more susceptible to viral infections.
    Has anyone on here that has had Ocrevus had the shingles vaccine?
    My neuro always says no to vaccines that are a live virus.

Hi pballer, Sorry your wife has shingles I've heard it can be very painful, hopefully she has a good dr.

I had the shingles vac. long before I started Ocrevus. Your neuro is right about not getting the live
    virus.

Hope your wife gets better soon.
    God Bless Us All

Comment

There is a new shingles vaccine available, but I don't know if it is also a live virus. I am on Tysabri, and my neurologist said I would have to be off Tysabri for three months before I could take the old vaccine, and then wait another month before I could restart Tysabri. Needless to say, I never got the vaccine.

Comment

Shinles vaccine HZ/su

Originally posted by ru4cats View Post
        There is a new shingles vaccine available, but I don't know if it is also a live virus. I am on Tysabri, and my neurologist said I would have to be off Tysabri for three months before I could take the old vaccine, and then wait another month before I could restart Tysabri. Needless to say, I never got the vaccine.
        The new shingles vaccine HZ/su aka Shingrix is made from a small portion of the viral DNA and an adjutant.

It does not include live or weakened viruses.

Studies say it is more effective than the other shingles vaccine which is made from weakened viruses.

Comment

Thanks for the information. I'll add it to my "ask" list for my next appointment.

Comment

Shingrix shingles vaccine

Originally posted by ru4cats View Post
            Thanks for the information. I'll add it to my "ask" list for my next appointment.
            I will see my neuro on Tuesday when I receive the 2nd half of my first Ocrevus infusion and will ask her about it.

Seems it was approved by the FDA in late September, so it may be a while before it is available, and a while longer before many MDs know about it.

Comment

I had lemtrada a year ago and 3 mths ago got shingles horrible stuff
              I cut and pasted this sorry
              Shingles is a condition caused by the varicella-zoster virus — the same virus that causes chickenpox. Shingles itself is not contagious. You can’t spread the condition to another person. However, the varicella-zoster virus is contagious, and if you have shingles, you can spread the virus to another person, which could then cause them to develop chickenpox.
              Craig

Comment

sorry guys I couldn't type anymore

yeah as I was going to say if you have had chicken pox the zoster virus lies inactive in your body apparently when having these drugs they weaken your immune system and the virus reactivates as shingles, you can only get shingles if you have had chickenpox, you can't pass on shingles but if you have shingles you can pass on chickenpox to someone that hasn't had it before so when they say shingles is contagious it is but not to give someone shingles only chickenpox are we confused now Craig

Comment

Shingrix update

Originally posted by GardeningMSer View Post
                  I will see my neuro on Tuesday when I receive the 2nd half of my first Ocrevus infusion and will ask her about it.

Seems it was approved by the FDA in late September, so it may be a while before it is available, and a while longer before many MDs know about it.
                  I spoke to my neuro on Tuesday 10/24/17 during 2nd half of my 1st Ocrevus infusion. She had not been contacted by reps, but was going to meet with UCSF Med School folks to talk about it.

I asked her "when in the Ocrevus cycle is the best time to get Shingrix?" She put it on her list and will eventually get back to me.

Comment

your wife is innocent

Originally posted by pballer76 View Post
                    He says that since I have had chicken pox and have taken Ocrevus that I am highly susceptible to getting shingles from my wife.
                    I am supposed to not have any contact with her until the blisters have scabbed over. ...
                    I realize that by now your wife is over her shingles, so my post is no longer relevant for you, but just in case anyone else has the same concern I wanted to pass on the following quote from the Mayo Clinic website:
                    Shingles is caused by the varicella-zoster virus — the same virus that causes chickenpox. Anyone who's had chickenpox may develop shingles. After you recover from chickenpox, the virus can enter your nervous system and lie dormant for years.

Eventually, it may reactivate and travel along nerve pathways to your skin — producing shingles. But, not everyone who's had chickenpox will develop shingles...

A person with shingles can pass the varicella-zoster virus to anyone who isn't immune to chickenpox. ... Once infected, the person will develop chickenpox, however, not shingles. [end of quote]

If you've never had chicken pox, you could have gotten chicken pox from your wife's shingles, but you wouldn't have gotten shingles.
                    If you did have chicken pox when you were younger and are now immune, you may develop shingles at some point -- but it will have nothing to do with your wife.

Comment

Hi everyone,

thanks for all the info I will ask my neuro about the 2nd vaccine.. I have been on Tysabri for 11 years.
                      Linda

Comment

Working...
                      X