vitamin d3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vitamin d3

I've been on 4000 u of D3 for several years. My husband recently was told by his dermatologist that it is very important to also take K-2 if you are on Vit D3 because of calcium binding to bones rather than other less optimal organs. Is this true? I can't seem to find anything that seems like a peer reviewed suggestion for this. Anyone?

Andi - I AM NOT an expert on all (even any) things chemical. But I seem to recall that vitamin d3 is best absorbed when taken with calcium.

I call my morning cup of coffee with creamer and a small piece of cheese my calcium when taking my vitamins each day .

Potassium is normally not a problem with any of my lab results (either high or low) and as such I never bothered to look into it until my husband's K-2 levels came back high after a routine Dr. visit. He does not eat any fruit and very few vegetables, so it was a challenge to discover that his nut eating obsession was the cause of that .

But no, I have never heard that K-2 is recommended when taking D-3. I have an appointment with my PCP next week and if I can remember I will ask him about this.

Comment

I read somewhere awhile ago that if you are taking Vitamin D, you need to make sure you are getting sufficient Vitamin K as the increase in Vitamin D makes your body absorb more calcium from your food. If you have insufficient Vitamin K, this calcium will calcify on the insides of your arteries rather than going to your bones where it is supposed to.

Comment

I was advised to take K-2 for the same reason.
        I've got osteopenia, one step away from osteoporosis, and had to up my calcium & D-3 intake. The K-2 was recommended also as it "guides" the calcium to the bones instead of it ending up in other places (like making kidney stones).
        "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
        Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

Working...
        X