New to MS TIRED OF THIS ATTACK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to MS TIRED OF THIS ATTACK

Still in process of being diagnosed, the Dr is fairly certain it is MS. I have been dealing with this flare up or attack for 3 weeks now, beginning to wonder if it is ever going away. My left arm tingles and left leg are weak, my right side is not responsive to heat/cold. Feel shaky alot! Is it possible I. Going to feel this way for now on? Just when I think I can deal with this, I have a moment and just cry!!

Hi Dschoemann,

Still in process of being diagnosed, the Dr is fairly certain it is MS.
    I am going to keep my fingers crossed it's not MS

An exacerbation (relapse, attack, flare-up) of Multiple Sclerosis can last a few weeks to several months but it can take longer for recovery. Exacerbations are treated with steroids but not all exacerbations require steroids. Sensory symptoms such as tingling and numbness are not usually treated with steroids.

Remissions can be complete (no symptoms) or partial (residual symptoms) with partial being the most common.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Sorry you are going thru this. I would try to take it a day at a time. To get diagnosed, you will need MRIs and bloodwork to rule out MS mimics. Have you had any tests yet or are the schedules soon? Are you scheduled to see a neurologist?

That being said, if it is MS and you are having a relapse, I have heard of some taking a few months or even a year to go away. MS can be so variable. They sometimes use IV steroids to help a relapse end quicker, but it doesn't change the symptoms that remain after a relapse. Most neuros won't prescribe the IV steroids for sensory only relapses (such a tingling and numbness). They usually use them for more severe relapse symptoms.

Hang in there. You aren't alone in your worry. Just try not to jump too far ahead. Let us know how things go.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

For many people with MS, steroid treatment is an option that can speed recovery from a flare. For me, it seems treatment is not an option; my flares continue to get worse and worse if they are not treated, so my doc always rx's steroids when I am in a flare.

For me, the steroid course is usually 5 days at 1000 mg, followed by a 12 day taper, so it's almost 3 weeks of steroids. Following that, it often takes a few weeks for the symptoms of the flare to begin to go away. At this point in my MS, flare symptoms usually go away altogether. However, by this time, there are already many residual symptoms that don't go away, and there is also progression and aging that slows me down.

Consider talking to your doc about whether steroids might help you. Also, ask about side effects of steroids, of which there are many. If they are not necessary, you'll have to weigh whether they are worth it or not.
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thank you.

Originally posted by Dschoemann View Post
          Still in process of being diagnosed, the Dr is fairly certain it is MS. I have been dealing with this flare up or attack for 3 weeks now, beginning to wonder if it is ever going away. My left arm tingles and left leg are weak, my right side is not responsive to heat/cold. Feel shaky alot! Is it possible I. Going to feel this way for now on? Just when I think I can deal with this, I have a moment and just cry!!

I was given IV steroids, done with them about 2 weeks now. Feeling better, body just isn't cooperating!!

Comment

I just experienced my first relapse/exacerbation. Completed 3 days of 1000mg/day IV Solumedrol four weeks ago. Didn't know what to expect from the steroids, but I felt pretty yucky for 2 weeks. Yucky in a way that did not seem to be related to the MS flare, so I assume was the steroids.

Four weeks post infusion, I've regained strength and dexterity in my right hand. But my legs remain weak and my right foot seems to have a mind of its own! However, I can at least lift my right leg enough to put on my own pants now, and require only occasional assistance in climbing the stairs at home at the end of the day.

I'm beginning to understand that I had unreasonable expectations of what the steroids could do for me. The Solumedrol did slam the breaks on the exacerbation, but I had hoped residual disability (like my foot/legs) would also improve quickly. I'm reading it could take weeks/months to get to back to where I was before.....if I'm fortunate. Just trying to be patient and forgiving of my limitations for now and praying for the best possible outcome!

Comment

Canary54

Flares are not predictable and can last a week or months. Here is a site that may may help.

Flhttps://www.everydayhealth.com/multiple-sclerosis/symptoms/multiple-sclerosis-flares/ares can last
              Peace to all,
              LM
              RRMS 11/11/2005, SPMS 20011 (guess I 'graduated')

Comment

Working...
              X