Tart Cherry supplements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tart Cherry supplements

Has anyone tried any supplements from cherries? I keep reading good things about cherries and health benefits. Thanks
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

I tried the Tart Cherry Supplements.

I can not be sure what is causing it, but it seems to me that every time I start taking them after a week or so I start itching. Scratching til I break my skin itching. Nothing seems to stop it - I have tried Benadryl, Calamine lotion, even an alcohol / vinegar mix. The doctor has no clue either.

After I stop taking the Tart Cherry Supplements for a few weeks the itching subsides. I don't consider it a great loss to not be able to take them - I really didn't see any great improvement while I was taking them.

It may have been that the capsules had a filler in them that my body doesn't like.

Comment

Originally posted by msgijo View Post
      I tried the Tart Cherry Supplements.

I can not be sure what is causing it, but it seems to me that every time I start taking them after a week or so I start itching. Scratching til I break my skin itching. Nothing seems to stop it - I have tried Benadryl, Calamine lotion, even an alcohol / vinegar mix. The doctor has no clue either.

After I stop taking the Tart Cherry Supplements for a few weeks the itching subsides. I don't consider it a great loss to not be able to take them - I really didn't see any great improvement while I was taking them.

It may have been that the capsules had a filler in them that my body doesn't like.

Thank you. I always get into these things with a lot of doubt. Usually sounds too good to be true. But you know how it is... we try EVERYTHING!
      Marti

Comment

Marti,
        I choose to take the pill form because 1) it was cheaper than the juice and 2) I don't really like the taste of cherries (too many cherry flavored meds as a child - grape too ).

While I was drinking the Tart Cherry Juice I don't remember any problems but reasons 1 & 2 took me down the pill form route. You may want to try the juice if it interests you. But again, you will need to check and see what is in the bottle .

Comment

Originally posted by msgijo View Post
          Marti,
          I choose to take the pill form because 1) it was cheaper than the juice and 2) I don't really like the taste of cherries (too many cherry flavored meds as a child - grape too ).

While I was drinking the Tart Cherry Juice I don't remember any problems but reasons 1 & 2 took me down the pill form route. You may want to try the juice if it interests you. But again, you will need to check and see what is in the bottle .

Gina I found some that come in soft gels. My favorite. I have trouble swallowing some pills. I used to drink the juice ( in fact I think I have some in the garage ) but it's so expensive. Thanks again.
          Marti

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
            Has anyone tried any supplements from cherries? I keep reading good things about cherries and health benefits. Thanks
            Hi marti

I used to regularly order the CherryFlex Liquid Fruit (from Brownwood Acres in Northern Michigan) for about two years. It was the whole fruit, made into a syrup like consistency. A serving was only one teaspoon, to get all the benefits. I put it on my yogurt and it tasted great.

I did find that it helped a lot with muscle fatigue and muscle aches, and overall made me feel better.

Gave it up when money got tight and had other expenses to deal with.

Would love to start ordering again someday. It seems like I'm always needing one thing or another, to help me with living with MS.

Take Care
            PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I have been taking 1T tart cherry juice in 8oz of water twice a day. I use it to wash down my pills. Research has shown it very effective for osteoarthritis, and I have found my knee pain is now completely gone. I actually enjoy it; 32ozs lasts me a month.

Comment

I sometimes drink tart cherry juice before bed. It helps me sleep.
                ~ Faith
                MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                  I sometimes drink tart cherry juice before bed. It helps me sleep.
                  It's organic and I buy it in a concentrated form and just add some to water. I try not to take too much because it seems to be a diuretic and if I take too much before bed, I have to get up and pee more frequently.

I suspect that it costs less to take it as a liquid than as a pill supplement, and I can control the dosage that way if I want to take less.
                  ~ Faith
                  MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                  - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                  - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                  - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
                  X