Tysabri:Weight Gain and to tired to exercise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tysabri:Weight Gain and to tired to exercise

I have been on Tysabri for 1 year now, finally feeling like this MS is on some kind of leash. Side effects!!! Please tell me someone knows something about weight loss with all the drugs being taken. I know I could have it so much worse than it is ... but the weight gain just makes me more depressed.... any help???

I put on weight when taking an antidepressant. I have been off and now focusing on losing the weight. There is a weight loss forum here. I am trying weight watchers online program and getting myself to move a little more each day.

I was reading an article where someone lost weight by cutting certain foods from their diet, adding a food every week or two. So it wasn't all at once. They would slip up sometimes, and allowed the foods at parties. Once they lost the weight, they allowed the foods back in, but only in moderation and as a treat.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

It's OK that you can't exercise a lot. Exercise isn't the only way to lose weight.

I've heard that weight loss is 75% diet and 25% exercise. One suggestion: Try reducing calories 4 or 5 out of 7 days. Then choose 2 days per week to eat "enough" but not overdo it. I like to choose Wednesdays and Sundays most weeks. Or choose your own method of dieting.

Regarding exercise, you don't need to do a lot. But, do something. It can be stretching exercises. Chair yoga, etc. YouTube sometimes has some ideas.

Consider joining our Weight Loss Check-In group and/or our Exercise Check-In group on the Wellness Forum. We both meet weekly and we're a pretty supportive bunch.

In the Weight Loss check-in, we each have their own personal methods of weight loss. Some are on Weight Watchers, some on Atkins for example and some just cut calories. I personally lost quite a lot of weight in the beginning using Atkins and then just cut portions while eating everything. The method is not the most important thing, it is staying focused and following the plan.
      We post weight loss, gain, stayed the same, from Thursday to Thursday and have been doing so for over 15 years. We are truly dedicated to get rid of those pesky pounds and keep them off. You don’t have to state your actual weight. It’s a matter of choice.

In Exercise check-in, we each set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week.

Maybe go back and look at a few weeks of postings for each group and see if you're interested. Most of us post weekly, but, if your posting is less regular than that, we still welcome anyone to participate.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi Mcbroom,
        I am 68 years young , have been on Tysabri for 11 years. I eat everything I want.. to lose weight I eat 1/2 of it or depending on it's calorie content I eat only 1/4 of it. To maintain I eat 1/3 less.

I exercise 4-5 times a week, 3 of those water aerobics; 1-2 I have an indoor cycle that I put in front of the TV.

This is what works for me.
        Linda

Comment

So Tysabri causes weight gain?

I ask because it is on my short list of meds I am willing to try. In fact at this time it is the only DMD that I am willing to discuss .

I just found out that I have an overactive thyroid which MAY be helping me to keep my weight down. Just started meds or that. I would hate to have a double whammy on gaining weight as I have gotten rid of all clothes larger than a size 5 .

If this is the worst SE (I know about the PML ) then I would probably risk it, but would be nice to know about it beforehand. BTW I have until November to decide - that is when my next neuro appt is.

Comment

I have seen both weight loss and weight gain listed as possible side effects. Since both, makes me wonder if other factors come into play.

For me, I didn't put any weight on the first few years on Tysabri. I put it on when on an anti-depressant. Lost a little when off it, but combination of moving less, snacking, and menopause now are the culprit. Wish I could blame it on Tysabri!
            Kathy
            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
            X