Swank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swank

I am wanting to know if anyone here does the Swank lifestyle. I know I saw a little on it when I was first diagnosed. I didn't think I could do it. I love my steaks and I only like to use real butter. And don't forget that most commercial peanut butter is made with hydrogenated oils. Just let me know.

From what I have read, I think that more plant-based and fewer processed foods is good for all, including those with MS. I am not sure there is ANY reliable science on diet for MS. Except maybe reduce salt. I am trying to switch us over to plant based which Swank generally promotes. We tried gluten and dairy free (my DH has MS) but I don't think avoiding gluten necessarily helped much. Hard to say.

Comment

I know that the processed foods aren't as good/nutritious for us. I actually went to a nutritionist a few years ago. Her things were no sugar, no hydrogenated oils, and real butter. No fake food suck as margarine. I felt great but I lost a lot of weight. I lost around thirty pounds. I looked like I was malnourished. My regular dinner usually consisted of a piece of steak and a baked sweet potato. And we are talking about the fatty cuts of steak. As I think I mentioned Swank would scare me because it would eliminate the Cow and the Cheesecake food groups. And actually if I were going to try this I would basically have to become a vegetarian.

Comment

Hi lukeduke, I discovered Swank about 3 years ago. His dietary suggestions are not very difficult to follow. One really must buy his book and read/study it. Dr. John McDougall has been promoting a similar dietary regimen for many years, also. Swank's MS diet has been around since Dr. Swank returned to the U.S. after WWII. I wish you good luck with your dietary changes !

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
          Hi lukeduke, I discovered Swank about 3 years ago. His dietary suggestions are not very difficult to follow. One really must buy his book and read/study it. Dr. John McDougall has been promoting a similar dietary regimen for many years, also. Swank's MS diet has been around since Dr. Swank returned to the U.S. after WWII. I wish you good luck with your dietary changes !
          Jerry, Do you follow Swank? Do you believe it has helped you? Do you follow strictly?

Comment

I'm not necessarily following the Swank protocol, but for the past month I have been eating a plant-based, whole grain diet and am FINALLY finding relief from a lot of my symptoms, most notably the MS fatigue and feeling dizzy and lightheaded and overall horrible.
            I had tried Adderall, Amantadine, Provigil with limited to no success. Also Tecfidera and Ocrevus just made me feel worse. I tried LDN for 3 months which just gave me headaches.
            But finally I said i have nothing to lose (except steak and weight? lol) and you know what it works.
            Try cutting out meat and dairy for a month and see if it helps reduce symptoms. Obviously this doesn't cure MS but help control it.

Comment

Well as I said when I was first diagnosed I heard about Swank and did not think I could do it. It has been over ten years ago and two diagnoses ago(sleep apnea, narcolepsy) and I almost think it would be worth a try. But I'm married now and when I checked Swank's book out from the library when my wife saw the book she immediately says that if I want to do that I'm on my own. If she would not get mad if I go in the kitchen for a glass of water I would do it.

Comment

I've been following parts of the swank diet but I have kind of picked pieces of all the diets and found what works best for me. I am kind of at the point to where I am no longer interested in what I eat since I can't eat anything I enjoy ever again so I will just eat what is best for preventing this thing from progressing.

Comment

Working...
                X