Risk of Serious Drug Effect on Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Risk of Serious Drug Effect on Me

Thank You very much ru4cats for posting the link to Dr Vollmer's Ocrevus video.I decided to watch it today, and I'm convinced it was God sent.
    I was dx. with MS later part of 2009 and started on Avonex thereafter. So I have been on Avonex weekly injections for 7years. This past July I went to see my Neuro for my regular follow-ups. He determined that I have progressed to SPMS. and recommended moving on to this new FDA approved drug Ocrevus. I was elated about quitting Injections.
    So we started the process of blood works, insurance coverage and so on. I had an appointment for my first Infusion 8-30-2017. I arrived at the Infusion Center. Was prepd for the procedure, THEN the Urologist who was going to give me the Infusion informs me that my bloodwork showed active Hepatitis B.
    I have never been dx. with Hep B. I have never had symptoms of Hep B. I have never had signs of Hep B. I was totally confused. What is going on?
    Thanks to Dr Vollmer's Ocrevus video I think I have my answer today. A Risk of Serious effect. Apparently there is a chance(2) of having a serious health problem from using DMT - interferons-. Dr Vollmer said "Interferons have a higher safety profile with Hepatitis occuring with skin necrosis occuring". I have to document my case.
    I'll call and talk to my Neuro tomorrow.
    Again Thank you ru4cats.

Update: Risk of Serious Drug Effect

I had an appointment tomorrow 9/11/2017 to talk to my Dr., unfortunately it has been cancelled due to inclement weather of Hurricane Irma coming thru Georgia. All schools and offices in it's path are closed for now.
    I'm still frantically researching the situation. Does anybody know or heard of a case where an MS patient who has been on interferons for years has tested active for Hepatitis? I have read of some unnerving cases online and will need to find more. How do you deal with something like this

Comment

Sorry, little confused. Do you think the interferon DMT caused you to contract Hepatitis B? I've never heard that before.

A quick look, interferons are actually used to treat Hep-B. But a different type of interferon. The MS interferons are 1a and 1b. It looks like interferon type 2 are used to treat Hep-B. Is it possible Dr. Volmer was saying that continuing on interferons type 1 DMTs for MS have a high safety profile when being treated for Hep-B?

Apologies, not sure I was following your post correctly.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Risk of Serious Drug Effect

Hi pennstater I was totally confused in the beginning. I have done further research and found out that the condition is called Hepatic Injury. Hepatic Injury includes Autoimmune Hepatitis and other Immune-Mediated Disorders. You mentioned how interferons can be used in the treatment of Hepatitis. A Pharmacist also mentioned that. That reminds me that a Botox injection for Migraine treatment, has one of the main Side Effect as Headaches.
        with the aftermath of hurricane Irma which we got a bad Tropical Storm from, my appointment to see my Doctor was cancelled and now rescheduled for next week.
        I need all the clarity.

Comment

Working...
        X