Need help with Medicare.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with Medicare.

Hi like many of you I have been dealing with MS for a long time. I had opticneuritis in 1985, was diagnosed with rrms in 1990 and am now spms. I was on Betaseron for a couple years switched to copaxone about 16 years ago and I'm on my second baclofen pump. My ms seems pretty stable.
    Life is pretty good but now my husband is retiring and we will be losing his insurance!! I already have medicare part A and B but now I'm faced with finding drug coverage. I can get a part D drug plan or switch to an advantage plan. Just wondering if any of my fellow msers have some advice. Thanks!

This is not advice but I also have Medicare parts A and B plus a supplemental policy to cover the rest of the costs. I signed up for part D when I first signed up. I had a bit of a problem getting them to cover Aubagio (it was new at the time) but after a letter from my doctor it was approved. The copays were way too high though. Other, more common meds are less.

I don't know about Advantage plans except I understand you can't keep your regular doctors. I could be wrong though.

Comment

Drug Coverage

You can go to the medicare.gov/part-d/ website to find out what each plan will cover for your medications. You can get information regarding different plans as well as Advantage plans.

Medicare Advantage is not great when you are on expensive medications. I think Loopey is correct that you cannot keep your doctors and there are additional restrictions.

I'd recommend a Medicare Supplemental policy in addition to your Medicare Part B as well as a Part D policy. The Supplemental policy will pick up Medicare deductibles and your 20% coinsurance that Medicare doesn't pay.

Comment

I have parts A and B, part D (with Humana-it's good if you only have generics) and a supplemental. Part B covers my Tysabri infusions because they are infusions and the supplemental picks up the other 20% because of the coverage I chose.

Good luck with your decision
        Linda

Comment

Article: What Help is Available to People With MS Who Have Questions About Medicare?

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Liv...People-With-MS
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Pulling my hair out!

Hi all. I'm so sorry I'm new to this site and didn't realize my question was posted. Thanks for all the input.
            I went to the rural health network in my town and talked to an agent from fidelity care. They have a $0 advantage plan that would save me about $200 a month compared to original medicare with a drug and gap plan. Most of my doctors participate and I thought it covered my copaxone. Now today I see that they cover it for 2017 but not 2018!
            What a nightmare! Back to square one!

Comment

Medicare

I've always gone with an Advantage plan because they have the medical as well as drug coverage for me. The ones I've chosen in my state had all of my doctors on it and covered my medicines with no or low co-pays. Often they offer a several plans with different premium costs. Insurance brokers can help you find the best plan for you available in your area, you can attend meetings put on by the medicare companies, or you can search online for a plan that meets your needs. For me, the most important things were that my doctors were on the plan, and that my medicines would be covered. Good luck. Medicare is very confusing.

Comment

Working...
              X