Mad About MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mad About MS

For years, before MS I was on top of the world and on the fast track to getting promotion after promotion now I can barely complete rather simple tasks due to cognitive problems due to MS. The doctors diagnosed the problem but they seem indifferent to the problem, aka my life. Sorry I'm just in the woe is me world but to be honest I am very blessed. Does anyone else suffer from cognitive problems?

MDE

I know what it's like to be in a "woe is me" mood, even though, if I'm willing to look past that, I also know that I am very blessed in many ways. But, MS has still affected our lives, and sometimes we just need to grieve that.

About cognition -- Seems like my cognitive problems are mostly limited to when I'm in a flare.

Except that ... also ... I fatigue easily, and when I'm tired, I don't think well. I don't like to complete cognitive tasks such as finances, banking, etc in the evenings because it takes too much energy to think then.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi Sirike, Yes, I have cognitive problem also. My worst is forgetfulness this frustrates me and my husband. I also get things confused sometimes, if I tell someone something, I always say, I may not be remembering this correctly and also I have a hard time finding the words I want to say. Oh, and having a hard time spelling words is another big one.

I have ms but I too am very blessed.

Take care
      God Bless Us All

Comment

My cognition problems cost me a job/career that I had close to 30 years. Fortunately, the serious cog problems, along with other issues and my age, got me into a fast track for receiving SSDI within 3 months of applying.

Are you still working now? After I stopped working, my cognition problems weren't as bad as they were while working under much stress of trying to keep up. It's still a problem much like described from REG53 today.

You might consider having a neuropsychology evuation done to get a baseline of your abilities. They also pinpoint problems areas and might give you tips on how to work around your problems. https://www.med.unc.edu/neurology/di...ers/npsycheval

I feel blessed too!
        Take care and know you're not alone.
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Sirike View Post
          The doctors diagnosed the problem but they seem indifferent to the problem, aka my life.
          Yeah MS is a rotten thief. Unfortunately there really isn't much physicians can do in this regard or to stop progression which sucks for us and I'm sure is frustrating for them also.

Maybe consider therapy to help you adjust to your new normal and develop coping skills to navigate through life?
          Hang in there.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

Cog fog here - it also cost me my job. They paid me to think, well, you can guess how that worked out. My last 2 MRIs said brain matter volume loss advanced for age. That is my last MRI, no longer wish to have continued proof of this decline. We just came back from the beach, and guess who left the sprinkler on and forgot all about it? My water bill was higher than my electric bill and I feel awful.

I just read that alpha lipoic acid reduces brain volume loss. I will be getting some, as soon as I can remember.

Comment

Working...
            X