copaxone to tecfidera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

copaxone to tecfidera

I have been taking copaxone 40mg 3xweek for 2 years. My mri's are all good. Nothing new, all stable. I have bad lipotrophy on both arms and it looks awful. I'm thinking of switching to tecfidera. Do you think that's a good idea? Any advice appreciated.
    April

That question is probably best answered by your neuro.

I'm on Copaxone 40 too. I don't have a lot of lipoatrophy; some site reactions when I inject. But, I've also had good success with Copaxone's effectiveness. In the past, I was on a different DMD that did not work well at reducing the fx or severity of flares. Because of that, I'd be wary of switching from a med that's working to one that I don't know if it would work well for me or not.

Perhaps Shared Solutions (Copaxone's patient support) could give some injection tips on how to minimize lipoatrophy, or at least cope with it? 1-800-887-8100
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I was on Copaxone for 6 1/2 years and had the same problem with my arms after less than a year. (my arms are skinny and the shots hurt!) My Shared Solution nurse suggested that I simply skip the arms as long as I kept the rotation going with the other sites. This was about 12 years ago. I am no longer on C so don't know if the advice is the same today. Just my experience, but best to ask them.
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I also learned early on to skip my arms which don't have much fat. I mostly shoot in my thighs and butt. They look pretty horrible but I'm in my 50s so really even DH isn't spending too much time looking a those spots and I don't ever expose them in public, lol.

I've thought about changing therapies now that there are newer ones although I'd like to see more long range results and I'm also hesitant since I'm relatively stable. If I changed and had a setback, regardless of why, I'd be certain it was because I stopped the Copaxone which has been my faithful medication for 12 years. Definitely ask your physician but my plan for now is to hold steady and consider a change when, hopefully if, my condition changes.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Oh yes! Good advice from other posters -- I didn't think of mentioning that option. When I was on Copaxone 20 (7 days per week), with my neuro's OK, because of pain at most sites (arms, thighs and hips), I injected only in my abdomen, and only 4x per week.

Shared Solutions wouldn't be able to advocate that, because it's against their protocol and they have to stick with their specifics, but your doctor can approve variations.
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I made this change

I had been on Copaxone for 5 years, first the 20, then the 40. I just couldn't stand jabbing that needle into myself anymore. I have been on Tecfidera since November. No side effects (except that first day when I looked like a tomato), and I feel great. I had been pretty stable (thank God) and remain so.
            And I don't miss those nasty shots!
            Carole
            diagnosed 10/25/11

Comment

Working...
            X