Heat Intolerance - Member Topic of the Month for August 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat Intolerance - Member Topic of the Month for August 2017

Your Member Topic for the month of August is here!
    You made suggestions and we listened!
    Thanks to all who participated in July's Member Topic of the Month!

Back by popular demand, your topic will be on how to control and manage heat intolerance and at what temperature does the heat intolerance begin to affect you.

Please join us in this important conversation on ways you manage this since summer is here and the heat is ON! Your thoughts and concerns on this topic are always welcomed.

Thank you all for your participation and stay tuned for more topics from your suggestions in the months to come! We appreciate all your thoughtful ideas and hope to hear more from you! You can add more suggestions here: https://www.msworld.org/forum/showth...TH-suggestions!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

We are experiencing a horrible heat wave with temps over 100-105 every day this week. I have no options besides staying inside with a fan blowing on me all day. We only have a small one room air conditioner which we use in the bedroom at night so for the next weeks I will be home bound. I have been suffering the heat in the 90's for weeks and I am bored silly but can't get out.

My DH fills a plastic container with cold water and I put my feet in it and I also drink lots of water.

I remember complaining about the cold weather not that long ago!

Comment

We are also experiencing a heat wave in our parts - mid to high 90's - which is uncommon in the PNW. The main problem is that most don't have AC's in their homes, including me. I used to love the heat, but not anymore, thanks to MS

A tip for those who also don't have the luxury of home AC's:

When the temps drop at night, open all your windows and let the cool air in. In the morning, close the windows as the temps heat up. It keeps the house temperature down, provided you have good insulation. Also draw the curtains shut if you have them. Turn on a fan or two or three to keep air circulating. These tips I remember as a child growing up in hot humid Iowa before anyone had home AC's.

We do this now and it keeps the house as much as 15 degrees cooler inside! Hope everyone is surviving the heat this summer.
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

We are fortunate to have air conditioning, so it's not so difficult to cope with the heat. I stay indoors a lot.

In past years (9-15 years ago), when my daughter was a competitive swimmer, we often attended outdoor swim meets on the weekends, often in 90F - 105F degree weather. Some tricks I tried:
        - I wore a swim suit under my clothing. I soaked my T-shirt in cold water, wrung it out and wore it until it dried out. Then I did it again.
        - I purchased the gel cooling necklaces and brought an ice chest. I made sure to always have one cool so I could replace the one I was wearing when it was no longer cooling me.
        - I kept a cooler full of cold drinks.
        I probably did other things, too, but I can't remember what they were.

I know that cooling vests are available.
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
        X