Visual Snow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visual Snow

I am curious to know if many of those diagnosed with MS also suffer from the symptoms of VS. For those who don't know, VS (visual snow or visual static) is a condition characterized by spots, streaks, or other disruptions to one's field of vision. I am a sufferer of VS, and although I am not diagnosed with MS, I often experience symptoms that may be indicative of the earlier stages thereof. For now, I am interested in discussing VS in the hopes of finding some common ground amongst those whose condition causes VS symptoms. Do you see what I see?

I do not and have never had visual snow. I do have vision problems related to MS as well as those unrelated to MS.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I have no experience with 'visual snow, but it sounds a lot like 'visual migraines' (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintillating_scotoma), which I've had on an occasional basis since my early 20s. My migraines are almost completely visual, with only mild headache, if any.

My MS symptoms did not start until my mid-50s, and I'd had at least a dozen brain MRIs before then, so I don't think there's any connection between my scintillating scotoma and my MS.
      1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
      NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

I had spots, but opthalmologist said related to allergies and dry eyes. Started on lastcaft Rx drops and spots disappeared.

Only other eye problems optic neuritis, common in MS.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Yes exactly

That's probably the most perfect description I've heard yet for what I have. When I try to explain to people, I usually say my vision is like a picture with some pixels missing--the overall effect is blurry, but there's actual pinprick blindspots in my vision. Everyone seems to think it's MS-related Optic Neuritis, except (weirdly) for my neuro-opthamolgoist, who says my nerves aren't deteriorated enough, and are too evenly damaged, to be ON.

In any case, the changes in my vision were the first symptoms of MS—probably started around 2010, and it gets worse when I get hot (and better when I stand under a cold shower). But I always have SOME VS--it never completely goes away. I wasn't diagnosed til 2013, but my optometrist was the first person to suggest I see a neurologist because she couldn't correct me to anything better than 20/60.

Anyway, I have nothing to reassure you with, for which I'm sorry, but my VS does seem to have stabilized at roughly 20/70, so I can still (legally) drive. Of my symptoms (right leg weakness, bladder stuff) it's the most annoying, but it's now been seven years and I seem to be pretty stable, so maybe you are too?

Originally posted by Orbeus View Post
          I am curious to know if many of those diagnosed with MS also suffer from the symptoms of VS. For those who don't know, VS (visual snow or visual static) is a condition characterized by spots, streaks, or other disruptions to one's field of vision. I am a sufferer of VS, and although I am not diagnosed with MS, I often experience symptoms that may be indicative of the earlier stages thereof. For now, I am interested in discussing VS in the hopes of finding some common ground amongst those whose condition causes VS symptoms. Do you see what I see?

Comment

Working...
          X